We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIM Disappointment

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
137 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
VIM Disappointment

My husband and I were at the VIM in March of 2009 and loved it so much we decided to return this year and bring our friends. We just returned from our March 16-23 stay. Let me first mention that the resort is still clean and beautiful, the food is still great and the staff worked very hard. The problems we experienced this year (unlike last year) were very disappointing.

First, all lounge chairs in the shade (beach and pool) were reserved by 7:00 AM. Very large sections of palapas on the beach and covered areas at the pool were marked reserved for "Privilege Guests". ALL palapas in the area referred to by previous posters as the quiet beach were reserved for a financial conference. To add to the insult, these lounge chairs sat mostly unused, while the rest of the "Not-so-Privileged" guests prowled for chairs in the shade.

Our second disappointment was with the long lines waiting to be seated for breakfast, lunch and at the restaurants for dinner. It got worse as the week went on.

When we mentioned these issues upon checkout, we were told that the resort was at 90% capacity, and that they had a large group there that week. Somehow that didn't make us feel better. We do not care for this new caste system and, we would rather spend the extra $700 per person they charge for the Privilege Package at another resort that offers ample seating, no long lines, and makes all of their guests feel privileged.

Edited: 25 March 2010, 20:21
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
767 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIM Disappointment

This isn't the first time I've read about these issues with VIM. That is why I have taken this resort of my list of potential places I would like to stay.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
822 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: VIM Disappointment

I am sorry this contributed to your bad stay, but I like the thought of the privilege package. I am always worrying during the morning on whether I will get a chair or not. I try to stay calm because my DH likes to sleep in and I shouldn't have to wreck his vacation by making him get up early. We are not the type of people to save chairs that we wouldn't use right away. The privilege package will allow me to pay extra for the service of having a reserved chair and this will make my vacation truly relaxing.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
822 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: VIM Disappointment

I would also like to add that I would be using my reserved chairs. Maybe the resort should reevaluate each week how many privilege packages they have and rope off a section for correct use. If these palapas are empty because no one had paid for them they let them be free for the other guests.

WV
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIM Disappointment

One of the problems is the package allows a couple to reserve 2 chairs at the beach and two at the pool. There are always at least two empty depending on whether the occupants are at the beach or at the pool.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIM Disappointment

I am booked to go to VIM on April 21st and think I am going to try to get a deal at secrets or leblanc or something as the place does not sound great. But I may be stuck with it so maybe I need to lower my expectations.

Virginia
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: VIM Disappointment

All the comments about the crazy towel game at VIM led us to scratch it off our list. We like staying in bed a bit (8-8:30am) then go to breakfast and then the pool. That was what we did at EPM last year and never had a problem getting a lounge bed at the pool (around 10-10:30am). We booked ERC for this year.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: VIM Disappointment

At all of the resorts in the Mayan that we have been to... the Towel Game is one.... especially at the busier times... that is just the way it is. Everyone I know that goes to different resorts... comes across this as well.. so I think it happens at all of them.

Toronto
Level Contributor
590 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIM Disappointment

We are here at the Valentin right now and it's our 3rd time. It appears the place is not up to par as our previous stays here. With towel games aside the actual pool chairs are in really bad shape and when we ate at the Italian restaurant tonight the table cloth was full of dirty stains and bread crumbs. This is so disappointing as our past two experiences were really good.

I also find it really strange that there are paddle boats in the pool???? It looks like a trashy chaotic mess at that pool.

This is just our first day here and we are a tad worried.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VIM Disappointment

I'm curious what the paddle boats look like. Could someone please take a picture of them?

Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VIM Disappointment

Unfortunately, I am beginning to think we should consider switching resorts too. Has anyone changed hotel bookings with cheapcaribbean.com?