We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's the deal with a la cartes?

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
what's the deal with a la cartes?

It seems whenever I have researched a resort over the last 3 years there are many reviews that talk about being unable to book the a la cartes or can only get a late supper and the a la cartes are quite often only 1/2 full. I can understand this in low season; not as much staff perhaps, but thru spring break? What' up with that?

Lakefield
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what's the deal with a la cartes?

Simple...its the cost.

Its a lot less expensive to herd you into the buffet than feed you at an alacarte.

Applies regardless of time or year or occupancy rates. Therefore I look to resorts that offer no reservations on alacartes.

Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what's the deal with a la cartes?

At a few resorts that we have been to in past years we have asked resort staff the same questions and have received the same answer... "We limit the number of guests in the a la carts restaurants to a small number at each sitting as the restaurant food takes longer to prepare then the buffet. We want a smaller number of tables for each waiter so the guests can receive more prompt, personal and special service. If the restaurant was full it would be louder and busier so the guests would not be able to experience the ambience and atmosphere".

That seems to be the case at most of the restaurants that we have been to, especially if the restaurant is large and has a lot of tables. We wouldn't want it overly full and extremely busy.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what's the deal with a la cartes?

Reservations on vacation is big no for me. No watch, simply eat when hungry. When I researched for our one AI honeymoon trip, any resort that required reservations ( or wristbands) was out. Generally, places without buffet dinner do cost more.

Are you looking for an adults only or family resort?

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: what's the deal with a la cartes?

This time we're doing a family trip to the Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda so we won't likely do a lot of a la cartes. I just was wondering about this as I've read lots of reviews and this seems to be common. Is it the same at adults only? We've never taken our kids to an AI before, my husband and I usually go with another couple, but we haven't done an adults only resort. Any suggestions?

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what's the deal with a la cartes?

Colorado...I'm with you! We changed to AI's so we could eat whenever we were hungry. During the day the 6 of us were never hungry at the same time! The ladies in the group love the freedom of grazing all day and not having to make any of it.

I'm so glad someone posted this question and thanks so much Cindy and Dave for the info! I wish all the reviewers knew this, I always wondered why they didn't fill up the restaurants. Although the Gran Porto Real filled their restaurants and didn't require reservations.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what's the deal with a la cartes?

I am not really a fan of AIs, only 3 nights out of 10 trips to the area. I like being close to good authentic food to get a taco at any hour. It's easy to eat anytime you are hungry going non-ai (and cheaper, $25- $50 per day including food and room) so staying at an AI resort made no sense for me

I wanted a splurge for our honeymoon but refuse to make dinner reservations or wear a wristband. That eliminates quite a few adults only AI resorts.

lincoln
Level Contributor
264 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what's the deal with a la cartes?

I love resorts that do not have dinner buffets. I do not like buffets very well but do not mind them for breakfast because I do not like breakfast that much. At secrets and EDR i have never had a problem getting into the dinner restaurants because they are all a la carte!

8. Re: what's the deal with a la cartes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 07:16