We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

Booked to stay at Allegro Playacar soon. Just wondering which would be better if it is possible to request. A room on the upper villa or bottom floor? Pros and cons from anyone that's stayed there previously? Thanks

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

It all comes down to the thatch roof to me... I love it-- it makes a small room feel much bigger. We had an ocean front, 2nd floor suite on one stay, and a 1st floor standard room on another.

Pros of 2nd floor would be potential views... to me, even people watching is best from above-- and, like I said, I like the thatch roof feel---cons? some people would feel better with a ceiling. Stairs to climb too--- regardless of how many drinks you have had...

Vancouver
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

Thank you for your replay much appreciated. It sounds like you have stayed at Allegro Playacar a couple of times. I'm a bit nervous after booking as the reviews are a bit mixed. What is your opinion and how was the food? I would appreciate any input.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
261 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

Hi,

Just booked a 4 night stay in April and am also looking for any info / tips on staying at the allegro playacar. Is it difficult to book the 'a la cartes"?

12 more sleeps:)

New York
Level Contributor
341 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

hi

i stayed at the allegro august 2009. i stayed in the lower level next to the pool, so my view was also great. all the rooms have an outside porch with a hammock. the rooms are not big, but who care, you only use it for sleeping and taking a shower (i hope). if you don't mind the stairs, go for a top floor, but the view will not be the same everywhere. there are only a few building overlooking the beach. the grounds of the resort are gorgeous, so the view will always be pleasant.

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

Our review is titled "Allegro Playacar: It's not perfect, but neither are you" (Click my name and the title if you want to read it.) That may sound a bit harsh but it should give you an idea of our attitude towards resorts. I am looking for a good time at a resort--- I don't go looking for what's wrong with a resort. That doesn't mean we are blind to shortcoming--- it's just not going ruin our vacation.

We have stayed at the resort again since that review was written and a few others in the area. Viva Maya for example-- Allegro and Viva are usually is the same price range but I would come back to Allegro again before I would return to Viva Maya. Nothing wrong with Viva Maya, but I like the thatch roof and overall feel of Allegro better, I also think the food is better at Allegro.

The food is good, it's not gourmet-- I never had any trouble finding something to eat, and never felt short-changed quality wise. The a la cartes are good, not great but I must say that the Mexican restaurant here has been one of our favorite a la carte experiences. We were greated at the door with a shot of tequila--- something my wife would rarely, if ever, do--- but she couldn't resist. It is actually tequila and Kahlua mixed with cinnamon sticks in a crock... delicious! The food was good too, but the staff is what really made our meal -- and our stays.

There's a waiter-- you will hear him making little cat sounds and cutting up in the breakfast buffet--- he has worked there for years-- he makes a mean Mayan Coffee if you ask nicely...

The resort is not overly fancy compared to some of the resorts in Playacar-- but the ocean is the same and beach is the same regardless of where you stay in Playacar now. It's relatively close to Fifth Ave too.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
261 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

Thanks for the great info workn2travel. we've previously stayed at the wyndham Azteca but always like to try a different place each time.

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

I like to try new places too...

My wife mentioned that she really thinks the buffets and a la cartes were nicer at Viva Maya and Azteca. She is more of foodie than I am-- so you may want to take her side on this one.

For one thing, I just couldn't get over the creative use of the hot dog -- at each and EVERY buffet meal at Viva Maya. It was labelled "sausages" at breakfast but I know a hot dog when I taste it...not with my eggs. If I'm having mystery meat for breakfast it's gonna be fried bologna. No bacon either at Viva Maya...(could've be a conspiracy against me!) I take my pork products seriously! I won't forget it... then the hot dogs showed up on pizza. Now that's creative! I could only finish a few slices--- each day.

:-)

Edited: 30 March 2010, 04:25
Vancouver
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

Thank you for all of your comments much appreciated

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

My friends DH is into serious snoring and she loved the second level, because the thatch rood seemed to absorb the sound! We liked the second level best and it is the first thing we think of as a plus, wonderful night entertainment is a close second. We were there in 2006 so that makes it pretty memorable.

Pekin, Illinois
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Allegro Playacar Top or Bottom?

Six of us going on April 30th. We are nerves because of the reviews. Please let us know what you find.