We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

Had a fabulous week! Went by too fast!

The weather was great, only about an hour of rain last Sunday, and a few sprinkles on Wednesday. Took the Mayan Adventure snorkel tour to Akumal -- best money we spent!! Wonderful time, highly recommend it! Tour guide, Tanya, was awesome - and had a delicious lunch!

Exotik Mayan Tours
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Mercanti Viaggi
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
KayTours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Paseo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

We arrive at IB Tucan on April 6...any recommendations or reviews?

This will be our fifth trip to MX and second to PDC, but our first AI...any insight is appreciated.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

Hi Sec! Glad to hear you had a good time. Is the beach really as wide and beautiful as the pics now show? So how would you rate IB* to the other family resorts you've visited?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

We stayed on the Quetzal side 3 years ago, and have been to the Sandos (next door) twice.

We love the IB* -- also stayed at the one in Punta Cana 2 years ago.

Yes, the beach is fabulous!!! I'll do a report and post some pics tomorrow.

24fan -- recommendations? Well, we don't do the specialty restaurants. In our experience, they're not any different/better than the buffet, and you get a bigger choice at the buffet. And personally, I don't go to Mexico to eat chinese/japanese food!! LOL

We did tell them at check-in that we were repeat customers, so they sent 4 t-shirts to our room, and we ended up getting 3 fruit baskets (we had 2 rooms/5 people).

Probably the only "downside" for us, the howler monkeys were RIGHT outside our door in the trees and on the roof!! THEY ARE LOUD!! Especially at 5am....grrrr. But the peacocks were a hoot to watch - one male would perch on the railing of a ground floor room and stare at his reflection. We kept waiting for him to attack and scare the bejesus out of the people in there sleeping!!! LOL We also watched him when one of the landscaping trucks was driving down the side path slowly, and the peacock got right in front and kept staring at his reflection in the bumper!!! Then he'd attack himself! LOL -- pretty entertaining!

The animation team was pretty friendly - we always found something to eat. Went into town twice during the week to shop/eat dinner.

No problems finding a chair/palapa at the beach....even after 8am. I'm sure the resort was at capacity, but it's never felt less crowded than this trip - the beach restoration was fantastic!

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
741 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

I'm so glad you had a good trip. We'll be there in 3 weeks.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
272 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

Thanks for the information 22 more days till our trip. Is it true the swim up bar is in the shade? (it could be just the time of year some went) Is it just better to hang out at the beach, as some say the pool is just to cold & ocean actually warmer.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

I thought the pool felt pretty good after being in the hot sun. Ocean was great temp too. We're beach people, so I have no idea about the swim up bar. Never even went by it, that I know of!!

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

sec---thanks for the information...

Howler monkeys at 5:00 am? Ohhhh I don't think Mrs 24 is gonna like that at all...but we'll make the best of it...but hey---it's a jungle out there.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

trvldog~~

The swim up bar is not attached to the main pool. It's sort of tucked away and you kinda have to look for it, particularly if you're walking on the opposite side of the resort. But to answer your question, it is covered with shade trees and adults only.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
741 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

So what else can you nice folks tell me about the Iberostar Tucan? We'll be there 3 weeks from today!

How were the rooms? Not that I spend that much time in the room. Was there a fridge with beer and water? Was there a safe in the room? Was there a coffee maker?

Which alla carte restaurants did you like the best?

Which building/rooms would you recommend?

Any other suggestions would really be appreciated. Starting to get really excited now.

State College...
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from the Iberostar Tucan

I thought the rooms were adequate--especially because i dont spend much time in there at all..the regular rooms have a small sitting area and either a king bed or 2 full size beds. they all have balconies off of the sitting area. I love the bathroom--lots of counter space and mirror space. The bathroom also has a hairdryer mounted into the wall. There is a safe--it's in the closet by the door..and the mini fridge comes with a gallon of bottled water plus little bottles for taking to the pool..it also has beer, coke, diet coke, sprite and fanta. There is a little coffee maker as well.

We usually stay in the Tucan side in either buildings 11,12, or 13. They are closer to the beach/pool area. The equivalents on Quetzal side are 21,22, 23.

As far as specialty restaurants...my favorite is probably the Italian. Next choice would be the Mexican..the Japanese is okay--food cooked hibachi style, but I tend to eat too much and it gets SO hot in there. The steakhouse was just not good (we gave it 2 tries)..and the tropical is pretty good if you like seafood/shellfish (I cant eat shellfish, so it took a good chunk of the menu options away from me).

Edited: 30 March 2010, 14:17