We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

Hi guys. I'll be heading to Playa del Carmen in November on a sort of couples trip, with my boyfriend and another couple, so four of us total. I'm looking for suggestions on hotels. We're young, early 20s, on a budget, and we're not into clubs or resorts. I'm looking for a smaller, inexpensive hotel (less than $120 per night, the cheaper the better) with charm. This is my first time in Mexico and I'd really like to feel like I'm in Mexico rather than a generic Holiday Inn.

I've been trying to hunt through here to find a hotel that fits what I'm looking for, but there are so many to choose from! If someone could suggest something or at least steer me in the right direction, I'd be so grateful!

Air conditioning is a must, and I would love a beach view. Something beach front would be amazing. I'd rather not be too far away from town, as we aren't renting a car, so maybe a hotel towards the middle of the beach area. An included continental or full breakfast would be great, too.

If anyone has been to Playa del Carmen and has any tips or advice to pass on, feel free! Thank you so much for your help!

Level Contributor
291 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

For all of your requirements - beach front, included full breakfast, right in the middle of town, under $120 - look at Playa Maya. The posted rate for November is $100, with 14% tax for $114 per night. There are also discounts for longer stays of 7 or 10 nights. Web page: http://www.playa-maya.com/#

To go really cheap, under $40 per night, look into Hostel Colores Mexicano. There is no breakfast or beach views, but it it cheap. Here is a trip report from a couple that stayed there in January with lots of pictures of the hostel. intheroo.com/playa-del-carmen-forums/trip-re…

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

Botique Hotels on the beach

Fusion www.fusionhotelmexico.com Inexpensive, great atmosphere, small rooms but some were painted and rehabbed June 2009, it’s a work in progress. Reports in Jan that they received new softer beds. Breakfast included.

You might want to consider a room off the garden to keep the night time noise down.

Playa Maya www.playa-maya.com almost perfect marks from TA, and breakfast included. You really can't go wrong here.

Playa Palms http://playapalms.com/en/ inexpensive, good value & getting good reviews. No breakfast, but everyone has a great view.

Mimi del Mar www.mimidelmar.com/ pretty good ratings, the least expensive hotel I would recommend on the beach.

Boutique Hotels in PDC off the beach but even less expensive & lots of charm.

Luna Blue www.lunabluehotel.com Calle 26 between 5th and 10th avenue

Cielo www.hsbplaya.com web cam media.playa.info/webcam-hotel-cielo.html

Hotel Aventura Mexicana Calle 24 Nte Entre Av 5 y 10, Playa del Carmen

Edited: 02 April 2010, 02:04
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

I like to use www.cancun.com set the results Price:Low to High and then come back here and read reviews. Be sure to look for specials on the hotel's website and compare rates all over.

Check out the links on the right under Top Questins for tons of area info and what to do in PDC. Enjoy your trip! :) CW

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

you don't need beach view hotel at all. just 3 blocks away from the beach 5 minutes walk, there is the municipality building, just ask people in the area, well there is a hotel right on the corner of that street facing the square.

you get a double bed, cable tv, full bath, AC + balcony for about US$25 a night

you also have the walmart one block away where the alcohol is way cheaper than anywhere else.

I stayed there for 4 night last Feb. and to be honest with you, I did not spend much time in the room, as you have so much to do around.

Enjoy playa is the best place in mexico!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

Playa Maya would be a good choice. Lots of cheap restaurants in playa off 5th avenue. Easy walking distance to everything.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
958 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

Luna Blue or Playa Maya (beach front)

If you don't like the club scene, I don't think you would like Playa Palms at night. It is right next to Blue Parroit and loud. If you have a sound machine to block out the noise THEN I would recommend Playa Palms. Fusion is a party scene at night also but not so night clubbish.

You have to get aways off 5th for cheap eats but there are plenty of them.

Edited: 02 April 2010, 16:57
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

First of all, welcome to the Playa forum. Lots of great info on here so you came to the right place.

Check your pms (top of the page on left) under "your tripadvisor"

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
961 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

We stayed at the Playa Maya in january and loved it.So close to 5th ave ,great staff,ultra clean rooms ,good food,nice beach.The fellow you book with is great and will answer any ?'s you have .Have a fun trip !!!

Level Contributor
80 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

We stayed at playa del karma- not on the beach. Great place. Right in the middle for us as we spent alot of evenings on 30th ave for dinner. I found it hard to find a place on the beach for great price..we are a family of 4 so that limited us -budget wise. Have a great time. When we go back I want to stay in tulum or akumal

Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
780 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help finding a hotel in Playa del Carmen

not sure you already booked flight but I just did a quick search on Orbitz and for 7 nights (Nov 7th to the 14th are the dates I tried) I found these packages (flight and hotel) from Boston to Cancun with one stop:

Hotel Aqualuna - $531.00 per person based on double occ.

Aventura Mexicana - $627.00 per person based on double occ.

There is a coupon code for $200 off as well (200entertain) so you may be able to snag something for under $500 per person!

I have stayed at Aventura Mexicana and it's great... not right on the beach but it's only about 2-3 blocks. Continental bfast included and right off of 5th ave.

I think Aqualuna is on the same block as the back but not beachfront... haven't stayed there but I think it also has continental bfast.

good luck and have a great time!