We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance between Chemuyil and PDC?

ontario
Level Contributor
478 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Distance between Chemuyil and PDC?

We are staying at the Playacar Palace and would like to visit the Jungle Place. We understand it is in the town or near the town of Chemuyil ??

Anyone have any idea of how far away this is? Either in time to travel or mileage?

Thanks

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance between Chemuyil and PDC?

Playa to Chemuyil, 26 miles.

The best way to get there is to take a colectivo to Chemuyil then taxi to the Jungle Place.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,710 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance between Chemuyil and PDC?

Here are a couple Google maps that may help.

Link to maps on photobucket

…photobucket.com/albums/…

ohio
Level Contributor
221 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance between Chemuyil and PDC?

I agree. We just did this trip. Thanks to OldTraveller, we were brave and took the collectivo. It was SO easy. We took a cab from our hotel to downtown Playa Del Carmen. The cab dropped us off at the collectivo. When we arrived at Chemuyil, there were only 2 cabs there...neither knew where the Jungle Place was!

But, since we had the phone number to the Jungle Place, they called. The Jungle Place is literally down one road about 1 mile.

It would have helped to have the directions in spanish. I took the directions and wrote down the main roads and they seemed to understand that. Enjoy, our kids LOVED the Jungle Place. It is an experience you will never forget.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,710 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance between Chemuyil and PDC?

How can a taxi driver in Chemuyil not know where Jungle Place is? Make a copy of the map for those poor souls.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance between Chemuyil and PDC?

Beachfamily...did you have the taxi driver wait for you or were you able to get a taxi outside Jungle Place back to the Collectivo stop to head back to Playa.

Also, maybe Oldtraveller of Laura can answer this. When I get back to the collectivo stop can I catch the collectivo going to Tulum? Is that further south?

Thanks!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,710 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance between Chemuyil and PDC?

No problem getting a colectivo heading south to Tulum, it's not very far. Or if you wish, cross the street and grab one going north back to PDC. They should come along every 10 to 15 minutes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance between Chemuyil and PDC?

Thanks so much! You're so very helpful!

ohio
Level Contributor
221 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distance between Chemuyil and PDC?

I am not kidding, the 2 taxi driver's both said they never heard of the Jungle Place. (The driver's were both from Playa del Carmen) I had written down the main roads of the directions and they seemed to understand that. It was literally down the dirt road from the center of Chemuyil. The center of Chemuyil consists of a few houses and a couple little stores.

They may have called The Jungle Place on their cell phone, but I don't think they did. Driving down the road, they drove right past it and I had to point it out to them.

The cab driver waited. He agreed to drive us to the Jungle Place from Chemuyil, wait for us, and then return us to Chemuyil for $12. We ended up to be gone about twice as long as we had agreed upon, we (we ended up finding another family in Chemuyil that got off the collectivo right behind us too) agreed to pay the drivers $20.00. It ended up they drove us all the way back to our hotel for $40.00. This was well worth it for us because number 1, we didn't know when the next collectivo was coming to Chemuyil and then 2, we would have taken another cab back to our hotel from Playa.

It was a fun adventure! My husband will admit, when we got off the collectivo and saw the size of the town in Chemuyil and 2 lonely cabs with both drivers sleeping...he was a bit worried. Also, he admits to being a bit concerned when neither driver knew where it was and the collectivo was gone! We did take advice we learned on here and did not pay the driver until the end of our trip, but to be fair, the driver never asked for any money.

9. Re: Distance between Chemuyil and PDC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2010, 05:17