We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about street safety

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Question about street safety

We are two ladies plan on taking the local bus from CRT into PDC for a bit of shopping on 5th then perhaps walk up to El Fogan's for dinner from there. Is it safe enough for two lone women to walk up from 5th to 30th and 6th in the late afternoon?

How do we get a cab back to CRT from El Fogan's? I don't want to be wandering the off streets after dark and also worried about getting a dodgy cabby.

How late is the Walmart open on a Saturday or Sunday night?

Thanks for any advice.

1. Re: Question about street safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 22:06
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about street safety

The walk to El Fogon's from 5th Avenue is up Costituyentes, one of the Main streets in and out of the Hotel Zone. It is a multi-lane , well lit, well traveled (both by cars and pedestrians) road and busy at any time of the day. El Fogon is also across the street from Mega, the Mexican version of Walmart, so there are always plenty of people coming and going. You will be perfectly safe to walk to and from dinner at El Fogon. Afterwards you will see many cabs on the street, or you can walk back to 5th where there will be a line of taxis waiting for customers. And Walmart is open very late on the weekends. It used to be open as late as 1:00 am but we are not sure of that anymore...but certainly as late as 10 or 11pm.

One last thing...wandering the streets after dark in Playa is a joy. The cafes and bars are filled with people and music. Trust us , there are no banditios, no drug lords ...just tourists and locals having fun at night in Playa.

Tony and Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel and Bar

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about street safety

There are plenty of tourists walking around during the day and night, we actually found more people to be out at night when we were there. We did not have any problems when we were there walking the streets. My mother and grandmother also went out walking by themselves at night and felt safe.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about street safety

Thanks for the help everyone. I think we'll be going to the El Fogon between 6th and 8th but it sounds like that should be safe enough too.

Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about street safety

My husband and I are going next week and are planning shopping on 5th and then a walk to El Fogon........maybe we will see you. I was a little nervous about walking around too, so thanks for a great question.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about street safety

Perfectly safe! We (my family) have made this walk many times. I have even left the restaurant before everyone else with my young son because he wasn't feeling well and never felt unsafe walking back. It is a well traveled area. You will see many families out and about and playing in the park late into the night by the Wal-mart.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about street safety

you must get the beans at El Fogon- great

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about street safety

-- and you'll be self-propelled.

We usually eat late at night after a whole day of exploring. We walk from 30th to 5th (our hotel) all the time after 11:00pm. By-the way-purchase your dessert from the bakery next to the El Fogon before their closing time-which they don't adhere to and may close earlier.

9. Re: Question about street safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 07:18