We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort employees...

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Resort employees...

We just returned from our 5th trip to Mexico and second to PDC and I wanted to comment specifically on something I haven't really seen much of here.

That is the employees who man these resorts so we all can have a good time.

My experience at these resorts (most recently IB Tucan/Quetzal) is without fail these people are friendly, efficient and some of the hardest working people I know. They take pride in their appearance and their work. Whether that's sweeping the floor, bussing tables, serving cocktails, check in/check out or entertaining the kids at the pool or whatever.

They never fail to have a smile, or a Hola or a Buenas Dias and if you need or want something they are eager to help.

I am not sure what the rate of pay is for employees at these resorts but I am sure it is less than similar jobs in the US.

They have my respect for the jobs they do so well.

I know at AI's it is easy to think that "tips included" means you don't have to slip them a few extra pesos, but to me it is so worth it and greatly appreciated and in the scheme of (at least my) vacation, a few extra dollars/pesos spent means very little to me but probably a lot more to them.

Oh, and one more thing...if you happen to learn at least a few Spanish phrases (beyond Hola and Adios) it seems to be greatly appreciated by many of the Mexican people I have met.

Anyways...just a comment about something that really struck me during this most recent visit.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort employees...

24fan,

I agree with you 100%. The friendlyness and the work ethic of the employees are a big part of why I enjoy going to Mexico. It is a shame that some resort guests do not notice how hard they actually have to work to make their vacations possible.

Well said.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort employees...

I also totally agree with your assessment of the hard-working Mexican people at the resorts. They make on the average of $6 to $7 a day, work 12 hr shifts 6 days a week and most of them ride a bus at least 45 min just to get to work every morning. We always bring at least $125 in singles and fives to "distribute" to the workers during the week we are there. The way I figure it is if you can afford the money to go on vacation, you can afford an extra $100 or so for the people who work so hard to provide you with your week in paradise.

Beechluver

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort employees...

Wow, could not agree more. Returned last night and will miss the workers at Ocean Maya more than anything. They are the nicest, friendliest folks. (Wish more of the guests would follow their example.)

And please... tip the maids, waiters and staff. I was amazed at how few folks were tipping. These are the people who make or break your visit. Let them know you appreciate the effort.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort employees...

We make it a point or writing down the names of employees who go beyond the call of duty and offer excellent service. When we get back home we always send an email to the hotel, and to the owner/company, praising their work by name.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort employees...

Yes, tip them as I do. And yes they do not make much money, and that is why we can afford to go to Mexico.

texas
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort employees...

I agree. They are some of the hardest workers I have ever seen. They work their butts off and for such little pay and they always seem so happy. I could never do their jobs. I would never last working those long hours in the hot sun. We always make friends with the employees at the resorts, especially the bartenders. Talk to them and get to know them. They’re great people.

Boston
Level Contributor
786 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort employees...

Without question, the support staff at the hotels, resorts, and restaurants are the nucleus of the customer service machine. I am a very heavy tipper, so this will continue during my stay at the Royal. At the end of my stays, I always make sure to track down my faves, and slip them a fat "thank you" bonus $$.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort employees...

Tipping those hard working & charming people who've looked after us so well on our holiday is, in my view, one of the best parts of the holiday & something I always enjoy doing. Tabby.

Penticton, BC
Level Contributor
541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort employees...

I couldn't agree more!

playa del carmen
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort employees...

Well said everyone!!!!!

The average wage here is 1200 pesos to 1500 pesos per week, or, 100 to 120 USD per week. The people are happy and very generous with whatever they are able to share with you. In the food industry, bars and restaurants, many work for tips alone. Better to tip in pesos than USD.