We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

Which would you take a ocean front room at the Gran Porto Real or a junior suite at the Royal?

toronto, ontario
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

Fo us it would be at the Royal. Anytime that we can manage Adult only, we will take it!! The actual room matters very little to us.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

I agree we don't spend much time in our room, but we have short attention spans and don't like long strolls from rooms to the action. Would we be stuck way out there if we were in the most basic Royal Junior Suite?

Eliot, Maine
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

If the Grand Porto exceeded your expectation, the Royal will blow you away. Your looking at the ocean all day long at no extra cost. GL

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

We purchased a basic room at the Royal back in 2007. I understand they have added on to the hotel since then. Our room was fine and not far away from the pool or lobby. We were on the first floor and when stepping off the patio and looking left we could see the ocean. I didn't care for the first floor room though. Would have liked a private balcony instead.

The beach in front of the Royal was better than the Grand (IMHO). If it was my choice to do over again I would stick with the Royal.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

Jenny, there is no "way out there at the royal" it's not that big & it's laid out pretty well. Yes the new wing is a little farther away from the main pool & the beach but it is by no means "way out there". If you do get a basic suite in the new wing there is a pool in that location & new restaurant/bar, coffee shop & it is super quite, we really enjoyed spending time in that section. If you have any concerns about the rooms & or there location just e-mail

fcamacho@realresorts.com

he can assist you w/ any questions you may have. hth

Edited: 29 April 2010, 23:45
Montreal
Level Contributor
189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

Standard at the ROYAL all the way!!!

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

EllotME_Douggone - To clarify I meant the basic junior suite not even ocean view. I love the enthusiasm and there is no question where you would go!

Keep in mind that we paid $1000 pp including airfare and taxes for 7 day at the GPR so we had pretty low expectations, LOL!

I've got a friend in our group who thought the Gran Porto Real would have been to big, except that our rooms were right across from the sushi bar, by the hot tub and adult pool so it was "okay". So if the Royal has a pool and restaurant in the new section should be good.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

Jenny the new wing includes 44 new suites, 4 are Royal Junior Suites, 20 are Ocean View Junior Suites, 15 are Master Suites with an Ocean View, and five are Presidential Suites. If you are going to stay at the Royal & want a room in the new wing just e-mail fcamacho@realresorts.com

He will take care of you & your friends, he is quick to respond & he loves to help, he will do everything possible to assure that you get the best suite available, trust me. Give Fernando a chance, if you have any questions or concerns, he really does an excellent job.

Edited: 30 April 2010, 02:03
Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
220 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

jennytollie,

I think you were in Playa in Feb at the same time as we were. My vote. The Royal....Adults only...the key. We are going back in October/Nov.

FINS UP ___/)___

10. Re: High end room at Gran Porto or basic room at the Royal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2010, 06:22