We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of Playa ?s

Toronto
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of Playa ?s

We stayed at the Royal in Playa last year but are staying at VIM leaving this Friday. We'll probably want to spend a day in Playa and had a couple of questions.

We'll probably want to swim in the ocean when we're there to cool off. Is there any lockers available to rent? Don't want to leave our valuablesunattended on the beach.

Good place to rent chair/umbrella for the day?

Any reco's for a great mexican Restaraunt? Dosn't have to be on the beach or even 5th avenue. Went to one a couple of years ago and it was packed with tourist but the food was'nt too great.

Thanks for your help

denver
Level Contributor
345 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of Playa ?s

bump

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of Playa ?s

there are several beach bars alon g the beach. they will come to u to tell you the great deals they have for you today

they are offer cheap beers. negotiate- if you have beers chairs may be free- ours were

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,807 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of Playa ?s

The new beach club at Canibal Royal is very nice. It's just south of Grand Coco Bay resort near 40 calle.

Mamita's and Kool's beach clubs are located at 28 calle. Kool's may be a touch nicer and a little more expensive, Mamita's is larger and charges $5 per chair and $5 for an umbrella. The beds are more.

El Pirata and Zenzi's are down by 10 calle and have a beautiful beach and pretty good food.

The Wicky has a very nice beach club if you buy food and drinks, it becoming very popular. This may be the most expensive spot on the beach. If Hotel Playa Maya has room they will rent you a chair.

I wouldn't be bringing too many valuables to the beach. The 20 and 50 pesos notes are waterproof, you don't need a watch, passport, phone etc. Too bright out to look at a computer. What kind of valuables are thinking of bringing? Bring a beach towel, some waterproof pesos, tee shirt, small cheap beach bag for sun tan lotion. They will all have dressing rooms and a place to rinse the salt water off you.

Authentic Mexican restaurants can be found close to 30th avenue. La Pesca (30 ave & 16 calle) for fish, HC Monterrey for steak (Constituyentes between 25 and 30th ave), El Fogon has 3 locations (very good tacos al pastor and frijole bean soup). I prefer Carboncito's at 4 calle, just west of 5th ave. How about Las Brisas, 4 calle and 10th ave. La Tarraya at the beach and 4 calle for fresh fish.

For one of the best dinners try La Kalaka, 4 calle between 15 and 20 avenue, ok, it's a fusion of Mexican and Italian, mostly Italian, but so good.

Yache's opened their new restaurant at 5th ave and 22 calle, Mayan Cuisine.

Edited: 27 April 2010, 19:02
Toronto
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of Playa ?s

Thanks for the info. I guess the valuables I was thinking about were camera, bank card. Guess I can leave the camera back at the resort and take you advice and bring lot's of 50/20 peso notes.

Thanks again.

5. Re: A couple of Playa ?s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 05:17