We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when do prices start to come down?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
263 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
when do prices start to come down?

We would like to plan our destination wedding after high season. Im pretty sure February is high....do prices start going down in April after spring break? Its hard when prices are not out everywhere yet!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when do prices start to come down?

It seems like randon sales start all of the time, you just have to keep searching multiple sites on a regular basis.

I booked for really cheap in August a few weeks ago, the next week the prices were back up to the regular price. Now they are back down again.

Keep looking and when the price is right for you then be ready to book it and don't look again.

st.charles
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: when do prices start to come down?

May 1st seems to be the magic date next year. Easter is late in April, so I think that may be why.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when do prices start to come down?

I would not be looking at April at all as there is one thing after another. There is a big Mexican holiday on May 1 and a few days after that resorts are still very full, but after May 6-7 the season is finally really low until the beginning-middle of June. Then the second half of September/October/November is a really low season.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when do prices start to come down?

Be careful with booking Sep-Nov as it is hurricane season.

Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when do prices start to come down?

I havent seen any decent prices for next year yet. Last year I finally began to see good prices in July, but that doesnt mean it will be the same this year. You just have to keep looking at all the regular sites, and dont forget to keep checking here because TA'ers will announce their great savings.

Micki

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when do prices start to come down?

You'll be able to get some great deals on hotels and resorts but don't count on getting great airfare unless you're booking through a travel company. From all indications, airfare will not go down much, if at all.

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: when do prices start to come down?

To answer the posters original question, as a rule of thumb, peak season lasts until Easter each year. This is certainly due to the large number of travelers that take advantage of school being out. After that time you will begin to see resorts at lower occupancy, and thus, lower rates.

Some years you will find better rates than others. Unfortunately, I think the really low rates are going to be harder to find. We just passed up a span of years where-as we had a major hurricane, swine-flu outbreak, and much fear about the economy. These led to some really good rates.

I think many that stayed home for these reasons (especially the economy) are going to look to travel this coming coming year. This will make the really good deals harder to come by.

Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: when do prices start to come down?

I read your post wrong, I thought you were asking when the prices will drop for Feb. Sorry.

May is a beautiful month in the PDC area, my fav by far. The prices are fairly decent also, but whats really great about it...is that if you do not book an adults only, the kids are not out of school yet so there arent very many of them!

Micki

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: when do prices start to come down?

I think May is a good time to go down there too. We're heading to the Catalonia Playa Maroma next week for 7 nights and our package was $595pp including air, transfers and the room upgrade. The total pp with tax was $730pp. That is by far the best price we have ever gotten. I know the economy has something to do with it but its still a steal.

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: when do prices start to come down?

About 20 minutes after you book your vacation!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist the blatent lead-in...

V'Crawlers

And we're also at Catalonia Playa Maroma nex week.

Edited: 12 May 2010, 02:19