We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gran porto real keys

Omaha, Nebraska
11 posts
Save Topic
gran porto real keys

I read something somewhere that the keys must be put in a slot to allow for electricity to work? Would anyone like to please elaborate. I'm kind of confused.

Thanks!!

Edited: 12 May 2010, 01:22
Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gran porto real keys

That's definitely not true, but pretty funny! I used every plug in available and one had a power strip so would have noticed that one right away.

I recommend staying on TA for your info as that other source isn't very reliable.

Missouri
Level Contributor
204 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gran porto real keys

hi,

when i went there last june that was the case. the plastic 'key' you used to get into your room had to be inserted in a slot by the door once you get inside to activate the electric (fan, a/c etc).. the frig stayed cold though so it might no affect that.. it's no big deal though. your gonna have two keys so if you want the a/c to run while your gone just leave one key in...

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
235 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gran porto real keys

We had the same experience last June as well. Really not a big deal. I ended up putting in my loyalty card from a grocery store and it worked as well. That way we both had a key.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gran porto real keys

When I was there in January we didn't do this. Maybe if we did we wouldn't have misplaced our key in the room as much, LOL! We had the absolute cheapest rooms there, in case the nicer suites are on this system.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gran porto real keys

We just returned from the Gran Porto Real (May 02).

Yes, you do have to put the key in the slot by the front door for the A/C to work as well as the lights in the closet and bathroom. All other lights and in room safe worked fine without the key inserted.

We were in an Ocean Front Junior Suite, but doubt that makes a difference.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gran porto real keys

Tis true but just take an old credit card with to use in the slot. If you want AC on while gone be careful as maid will remove cards left in slots in vacant rooms. Electricity is expensive down there in PDC.

AC is strong enough to cool the room rapidly if curtains are drawn.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gran porto real keys

We just got back from GPR on Sunday.

Yes, you need the cards, but there was one in the slot when we first got to the room, and then the housekeeping ladies left us two more on the table by the door. Everyone in the group we were travelling with had a card in the slot, and were left extras. We never had to use our room door cards at all.

I think any plastic card will work in the slot.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gran porto real keys

They do this at Playacar Palace as well. The good thing about it was that it was right near the door so that you didn't forget it on your way out. I never tried using a credit card - maybe next time.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gran porto real keys

The cards must have been in the slots in our 6 rooms. Good thing because we we wouldn't have figured this out at all! None of our neighbors from Canada and Australia mentioned this either, but I know they are in the process of phasing out these rooms so they might not have the system there,

Anyone been in the budget rooms by the hot tub?

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
235 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gran porto real keys

jennytollie- I didn't stay in the standard rooms up by the quiet pool, but peeked at them when up there, they really didn't seem too bad!!! So, you said they are phasing them out??? What are they going to do with this section of the resort?!??