We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa del Carmen

High Point, NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Playa del Carmen

Leaving with the family for a week in PDC on May 22nd and as a first time to the PDC area would ask for any tips that would make the trip more fun, safer, or whatever you would share.

Thanks in Advance!

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa del Carmen

Hi and welcome to the forums! Tons of area info linked on the right under Top Questions & Itineraries for fun things to do, where to eat and tips on gettting around. Enjoy your trip! :) CW

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i15504-Playa_De…

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa del Carmen

Where are you staying and what ages are the kids? That will help us steer you toward the right activities and help with transportation issues getting there.

High Point, NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa del Carmen

Thanks for the replies. We are staying at the Allegro Playacar with my wife, grown daughter (23) so that should help with our ages - graying nicely is a term I like.

Jimbo

Greensboro
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa del Carmen

JWhite-just got back from Playa last week! Wish I could go again- you are going to love it! The one thing we did-as a couple without the kids, was to take the ferry to Cozumel and rent a jeep and tour Cozumel on our own. It was so beautiful! Stop and have a drink or snack at Paradise Beach, but continue on and have lunch at Playa Bonita! Cute place, great views of the ocean and really really grea pica de giao!!!! Are you from High Point NC?

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa del Carmen

The Allegro is a comfortable walking distance for people that are as fit as you appear to be (amazing what you can see through Trip Advisor...oh, and you might want to put a shirt on there) Anyway....it's about a 15-20 minute walk to 5th Avenue from your resort. You've got beautiful new beach in front of the Allegro (NO beach prior to the January beach restoration) If you are looking for a nice snorkel day on the cheap, I would steer you toward Akumal. Easy public transportation to get there. Tulum ruins would be an easy cheap day also. (You could do both in one day if you wanted to) Strolling 5th avenue in the evening is always fun for people watching and shopping.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,873 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa del Carmen

You can't believe the number of people who stroll into Playa del Carmen from the AI's along Playacar. Lots of public beach bars and restaurants in Playa to visit.

5th avenue is a lot more fun to stroll in the evening. If Paris had not gotten the nickname "City of Lights" then Playa del Carmen would have grabbed it.

High Point, NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa del Carmen

Yes - High Point, NC is where I call home. Thanks for the information.

Jimbo

Cleveland, NY 13042
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa del Carmen

Do not miss the bar Bad Boys at the Beach on Thursdays and Saturdays from 5-9. It is located just off 5th Avenue between 2nd and 4th I believe-someone will correct me I am sure. Take the Xelha and Tulum excursion one day . Xcaret is another great excursion. The ferry to Cozumel is fun as is a taxi ride around the island. I have stayed at Allegro Playacar-nice pool and beach. You can walk the beach all the way to the pier!!!

Nice little shopping area across the street from Allegro Playacar. I am sure that you will enjoy your stay!!!! Let us know!!

Cleveland, NY 13042
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa del Carmen

Do not miss the bar Bad Boys at the Beach on Thursdays and Saturdays from 5-9. It is located just off 5th Avenue between 2nd and 4th I believe-someone will correct me I am sure. Take the Xelha and Tulum excursion one day . Xcaret is another great excursion. The ferry to Cozumel is fun as is a taxi ride around the island. I have stayed at Allegro Playacar-nice pool and beach. You can walk the beach all the way to the pier!!!

Nice little shopping area across the street from Allegro Playacar. I am sure that you will enjoy your stay!!!! Let us know!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa del Carmen

Watch the sidewalks in Mexico! There are many uneven sidewalks. Other than that PDC is a wonderful place to visit. Enjoy your trip.