We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weighing Chichen Itza Options

TGrant
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Weighing Chichen Itza Options

I've been in contact with Mr. Diaz and while it seems like an excellent/intimate experience, it would not be inexpensive, based on the fact that it would only be my wife and I.......so I'm looking for others input.

I would like to go to Chichen Itza, what are some of the options available? I'm willing to make stops in between and not necessarily willing to stay overnight out there, would prefer to be in a room that I paid for already ;)

Any who, any ideas for Chichen trips?

Toledo
Level Contributor
413 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weighing Chichen Itza Options

Hello. We have been going to Cancun every year for more years than I care to remember. Up until 2 years ago we had never gone to Chichen Itza because every year I saw people arriving back at our resort after their day at Chichen Itza and they always looked fried (sun burnt) and exhausted. Didn't think I wanted any part of that. Two years ago my husband and I and another couple hired a van to pick us up at our resort in the hotel zone at something like 5:30 a.m.. The driver tried to talk me out of going that early but I insisted. Well, we arrived just as they opened the gates. We were there well before all the tour buses and hordes of people. We had completed our visit and were ready to depart well before the heat of the day

could take its toll. On the drive back we stopped for lunch and the driver also took us to a beautiful cenote where we had a quick dip before continuing on the road back to our resort. It was a very enjoyable day. As I recall the total cost for the van and driver was $300.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
CT
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weighing Chichen Itza Options

I haven't been to CI but have been to Coba. I decided on Coba because I wanted to climb a ruin not just look at it. We booked with Alltournative Tours and the tour was called the Mayan Encounter. They picked us up in a 10 seater a/c van and it was awesome!!! Coba is in the jungle so not as hot plus we swam in a cenote, ziplined, etc. Definately go see one of the ruins, I really loved our tour...would do it again. My son loved it too.

Mentioned in this post
Alltournative
Alltournative
532 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,368 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weighing Chichen Itza Options

We took out tour with Yukatreks to CI. Be sure with Carlos to go to CI first before it gets very hot and overly crowded. We stopped at Il Kil cenote after CI and then went ito the town of Valldolid for a late lunch. We left Playa around 7:30am and came back around 8pm. It was a very fully day. Be sure you take a hat to wear to CI because there is not very much shade there.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weighing Chichen Itza Options

We left PDC at 6:30am back in January. We hit it PERFECT. We toured way ahead of the all the tour busses and before the heat of the day. That is the key... EARLY, EARLY! We used Entertainment Plus. LOVED THEM but I have heard good things about Carlos as well. We used the big bus tour once and it wasn't near the tour as when it was just the four of us. No need to spend the night somewhere. Like I said, we left PDC at 6:30am and got back to PDC around 5:00pm. We even stopped at Ik Kil cenote for lunch and a quick swim. When we took a tour bus we left at 7:00am and stopped at several resorts before getting on our way. Then we had to stop at resorts coming back and got back around 8:00pm. Big difference.

Mentioned in this post
Entertainment Plus
Entertainment Plus
6,255 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Unity, Maine
Level Contributor
833 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weighing Chichen Itza Options

You should go to the chichen itza forum and try to hook up with others who have booked with Carlos as then the expense is reduced for all. His van holds 10 people. We've booked with him for June 25 and did this ourselves; our party of 4 has hooked up with a Mom and her daughter for our trip; this splits the cost up more and makes it under $100 pp. We're going to CI, Ek Balam, swimming in a cenote and having lunch in a restaurant. Coba is a great alternative option, but CI definately has a wow factor and Ek Balam is a barely discovered wonder.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weighing Chichen Itza Options

You may want to consider Coba. You can do it very inexpensively by yourself. See this thread on how we did it from Gran Bahia Principe. From PDC you would have to add 30 minutes of colectivo time. Coba is quite shaded by the jungle, so not so bad on a hot day. Also as others have mentioned you can climb many of the pyramids.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k327…

Our total cost per person was 165 pesos. By colectivo only, and even less cost, you can do Tulum ruins. It has a very nice beach. Go prepared to swim.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
7. Re: Weighing Chichen Itza Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 06:18