We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I would NEVER go back!!!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
I would NEVER go back!!!

We are looking at so many resorts to go to for our annual trip to the Mayan Riviera in Oct. and, since everyone asks "What resort do you recommend?" I am going to go at it from the opposite way.

(At least I can rule out certain resorts) ;-)

So - what resort have you been to that you would NEVER, not in a million years, return to and why? It doesn't have to be in Mexico, just anywhere.

Thanks,

Beechluver

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I would NEVER go back!!!

Anywhere in Cuba! Yes the beaches are beautiful and the trips are cheap but the food and drinks are bad, real bad. We rather pay more and go elsewhere.

Edited: 17 May 2010, 20:08
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
972 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I would NEVER go back!!!

I find Cuba hit and miss - while in Holguin/Guardalavaca the food was good, plentiful and a lot of variety, on the other hand Varadero was pretty bad... not much selection nor was it plentiful, the buffet was standard.

Puerto Vallarta (Royal Decameron) and Manzanillo (Karmino Palace) both had excellent buffets and à la cartes.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I would NEVER go back!!!

This may get me drawn & quartered by the loyal CAT fans, but...

Catalonia Riviera Maya/Yucatan.

No beach to speak of, no decent snorkeling, a long walk goes maybe 100 yards in either direction, and the place is just too "urban" (gated community). It also seemed to be more of a Cancun-style party resort, albeit for an older crowd. Both swim-up bars were in overdrive by noon and the bulk of the pool crowd was well-lit & loudly advertising it by 3:00pm. We're not teetotalers by any stretch & maybe it was just an unusual week, but the place was too compacted and too drunk for us.

If you're into partying 'till you drop from 10:00am to 2:00am , you'll love this place. If you're looking for an actual beach vacation with a half-mile of soft sand in either direction and a calmer atmosphere, not so much.

Hey, just an opinion - your mileage may vary...

And have fun wherever you go!!!

V'Crawlers

Edited: 17 May 2010, 20:33
Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I would NEVER go back!!!

I'd never return to Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica. It was waaaay too expensive for what you actually got. No beach waiters or room service, unless you paid even more for a butler service room. Food was very mediocre to poor, I'd compare it to Luby's or Furr's cafeteria type food in the US. The beach was long and wide, but the water was very cloudy because the resort is located on the southern windy side of the island. The resort is also the only one in the area, which may be nice for some, but it's a 1.5-2hr drive each way to do any excursions. We orginally thought it would be nice to be secluded, but the resort is sooo dull and boring so you feel like you need to get out and do something after the third day. I don't get how Sandals stays in business charging what they do for such mediocre quality rooms, food and service. I will never return to a Sandals resort!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I would NEVER go back!!!

I wasn't going to reply to my own post ;-) but I guess for us it would be the Ocean Blue Golf and Beach Resort in Punta Cana.

The food was horrible, tasteless, bland almost non-eatable except in the American diner

The rooms were hot with ants everywhere

The staff acted like you didn't exist, wouldn't even look up when you asked them a question or said hi

Timeshare sharks bugged us all week even when we repeatedly said no.

No washcloths all week even when asked repeatedly

and the worst - the same song (thier "signature" theme) played at ear breaking levels through huge speakers all around the pool starting at 10:00 AM and lasting until 5:00 all day, everyday. It was so bad that people had to go down to the beach to have a conversation without yelling. We (and others we talked to) complained all week but they would not turn it down.

NEVER AGAIN!

Beechluver

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I would NEVER go back!!!

Great question and approach. We have stayed at two different resorts in the RM, Dreams Puerto Aventuras and Barcelo Maya Palace and would return to any of them, depending on the purpose of the vacation. I would take kids to Dreams, because it is a lovely, compact property, where at any given point, one can see where one's child is. I would take anyone to BMP, but would never stay at the Barcelo Maya Beach or Caribe properties. The beach is gorgeous, but the property is dated, and the buffets lack air conditioning. We are off to NOW Jade in 18 days, so I can tell you about that when I get back.

Since others have mentioned other destinations, I will add that we would never return to the Riu Bambu, in Punta Canca. It truly is the Walmart of resorts. Hmmm......that analogy may even be giving it too much credit. As a result, we would never book any RIU again.

Happy travels....it will be interesting to see where this thread goes to.

Prize

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I would NEVER go back!!!

I am with prizefromphilly , will never go back to any Riu resorts. Specially the ones in Dominican Republic.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I would NEVER go back!!!

Sig.....lololol......How sick did you get?

Prize

Boston
Level Contributor
791 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I would NEVER go back!!!

I actually love the approach to this question...it could end being the "Who's Not" in your resort selection....great idea beechluver--hope you get lots of posts. I don't have any Mexican or Carribean resorts to site as of yet. I guess I have been pretty lucky so far.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I would NEVER go back!!!

prizefromphilly , My wife actually got very ill, and it took her almost 6 months to recover. I was more lucky than her, only few days. To be totally honest I will not spend a dime at Riu, and most likely Dominican Republic.

Mentioned in this post