We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

Has anyone stayed at both of these resorts? how do they compare? We have stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico a few times, and enjoyed it but we think it is getting pretty dated. Last time, we stayed at Secrets Capri and also really liked it. I saw a good price for the Valentin, and was thinking about giving that a try. Is it close to Secrets Capri? One thing we did like about the Riu is the close location to PDC but Secrets wasn't too far. Thanks!

Salem, Illinois
Level Contributor
118 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

We are going to Valentin in July and have read literally hundreds of posts with most of them very positive. It is pretty close to the airport and the resort sounds fabulous. Our travel agent just got back and said it is the best resort she's been to in Mexico. I haven't seen as many positive posts on Secrets Capri. And you just can't beat the price right now on the Valentin. It is a WOW deal through funjet.

Good luck on your decision.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

I haven't stayed in Secrets Capri, but did stayed twice in Secrets Punta Cana (I think no longer exists), but stayed at Valentin and to me they are pretty much same level resorts, so if you getting a good price, go for it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

When doing research for both of those hotels we ended up finding out that the beach is nicer at VIM.

I also found out that Secrets Capri is a smaller more compact resort.

I don't think they are close to each other. VIM is in the Playa Secreto beach area.

I personally take the best deal I can find since there will always be other trips.

Good Luck!

East Coast
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

Just recently back from Capri......It was as close to perfect as an all inclusive can be....small resort, was as full capacity, but never crowded....food, drinks,staff were all wonderful...we stayed in room 326...jr. suite ocean front, beautiful room and view...quiet.....we had a great 25th wedding anniversary there....have been to Excellence and Iberostar Tucan.....so we do have some comparison.....Good luck

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

We've been to both. We are fans of AM Resorts (Secrets Capri's company) and are even bigger fans of VIM.

Both have excellent service, food, and policies (no wrist bands, no towel cards, etc.). I found the Valentin rooms to be a bit nicer (but it is probably just a matter of taste--both are nice).

The big differences are in size of the resorts and the beds. Valentin is much larger with gorgeous grounds. Capri is more intimate. Unfortunately I find the beds at AM Resorts to be very hard and uncomfortable. Beds at the Valentin are very comfortable.

We also tend to be able to find better deals at the Valentin.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

I have also been to both. Although I enjoyed both vacations, I found the service and food better at Capri than at the VIM. Both were at full capacity when we were there. Service was hit and miss at VIM while there were no inconsistancies at Capri. Food was good at both but overall (IMO) better at Capri. Although, I think I saw the pool and beach servers more often at the VIM. Capri is just over 6 miles south of VIM so Capri is about 5 minutes closer to Playa del Carmen. If the prices are close, I would go to Capri. If you found a good deal on the VIM, go for it!

Edited: 27 May 2010, 20:12
NewJersey
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

My husband and I have stayed at both and we recommended Secrets Capri to our daughter and her fiance and they loved it. Although Secrets is a bit older and smaller than The VIM.. the food and service is top notch..

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

One thing that bothers me about VIM is that it seems you cannot see the beach from the pools and resort grounds. Maybe I am wrong and it's just the pictures that I have seen. Personally, I would not prefer that feeling of being shut off from the beach. The rest of the resort looks and sounds great though.

MI
Level Contributor
393 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

Been to both. If I had to say which I would go back to would be tough.

I would go to Secrets Maroma over these 2.

To help you compare:

Food at secrets was better. Drinks at Secrets were way better. swim up pool bar scene was better at Secrets. Service overall at Secrets was better.

If swimming in the ocean is important Valentin beach/water is wayyyyy nicer. From the rooms it looks the same pretty blue, but the water at Secrets was darker and you can't see your feet etc. VIM is crystal clear blue.

(I prefer the palapa area at Secrets though, closer and more availability) I also remember pieces of trash bags washing up when we were at Secrets.

The rooms were about the same, but loved our room at the VIM. we had the deluxe jr suite and it was my favorite bathroom of any hotel so far. Secrets had nice rooms too but was with my sister so we weren't in the room much, didn't use jacuzzi tub etc., so don't remember I do remember us each leaving the room when needing to use the bathroom b/c of the layout.

The grounds at VIM are nicer, but I prefer botique style hotels so liked Secrets layout. The theme nights at Secrets (caribbean carnival, mexican fiesta) had way more attendance and just overall involvment than at VIM. They didn't do much to involve the crowd at VIM, while Secrets I remember having games, contests etc which were a lot of fun and top notch entertainment. VIM parties were kind of boring and people ate and left.

no audience participation. If you've never been to a mexican fiesta probaby wouldn't know any different or care. Food at the fiesta nights wasn't that good at VIM, but still enjoyed it. I still have my l ittle shotglass they gave us at Secret's theme party. However aside from the theme nights, evenings at VIM were more fun b/c people gather in the plaza to dance to the band and ahve drinks. nothing going on at Secrets at night. except maybe the lobby bar.

Secrets had a free shuttle into playa, VIM was like $17.00pp!!! thought that was a lot.

forgot if you said when u r going. pool at VIM was freezing in March. (although unusually cold weather this year) but I am from Michigan and still had a hard time with it. No one was ever at the swim up bar which may be why I liked Secrets swim up bar better. VIM pool is beautful though.

Secrets has hottubs betweeen pool and ocean. you can see the ocean from pool at secrets. No hot tub at Valentin.

YOu will be happy with either. but again I would rec. Secrets Maroma over Secrets Capr, b/c then you get all the benefits of secretes with the nicer water.

10. Re: Secrets Capri vs Valentin Imperial

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 06:25