We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ordering steak at all inclusives

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ordering steak at all inclusives

I was told by a travel agent that ALL of the all inclusives charge extra if you order steak or lobster. Is this true, I have never heard anyone mention this before.

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ordering steak at all inclusives

Neither have I, I have stayed at the Palaces and the Iberostars and eaten both steak and lobster. It is usually just part of the buffet or the dinner and no one charges extra at AI.

Midwest City...
Level Contributor
498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ordering steak at all inclusives

The only steak or lobster I've had at an AI was from the specialty restaurants. Never seen either on a buffet. I did see at one, there was an extra $15 charge for lobster.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ordering steak at all inclusives

Depends on the resort.

El Dorado has a lobster night.(Thurs)

Iberostar does too.(Tues)

Most charge extra.

Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ordering steak at all inclusives

We stayed at the Sunscape Tulum. We did not eat at the buffet for dinner, so I could tell you what was on it but I know there was no lobster on it as we asked. Lobster was an extra charge of either $25 or $27 at the Sunscape. You could order a special beach lobster dinner where they set up a white and red linen clothed table on the beach and serve you and your partner lobster. I thought it looked romantic, but my husband said he would feel uncomfortable with that set- up like we would stand out like sore thumbs on the beach so we didn't do it. There was no charge for steak. We had nice filet mignon at the Italian restaurant and beef tenderloin stir fry at the Asian restaurant. I was surprised by how good the beef was since I heard from other people to stay away from beef in Mexico. I didn't find this to be true at the Sunscape.

To get our Lobster fix, we had dinner at the Blue Lobster in Playa del Carmen. It was fun to spend an evening strolling around Playa and eating at a different restaurant. The lobster and service were excellent at the Blue Lobster. My tail was $22 US dollars (based on weight) and it came with a baked potato and steamed veggies - broccoli mix. They gave us complimentary Mayan coffee drinks at the end. We also had the lobster bisque there which was excellent. - $6.50 US for the bisque. I would not say our meal there was cheap, but I was happy to do a tiny bit to support the Playa economy and gave the waiter a nice, big well earned tip.

Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ordering steak at all inclusives

There was also an extra charge at the Sunscape for bottles of wine at the Asian specialty restaurants. You could order the house wine in a glass for no extra charge.

minnesota
Level Contributor
146 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ordering steak at all inclusives

A lot depends on your resort. We stayed for 5 days at the Riu Tequilla. We could go to a specialty restraunt 2x's. The specialty restraunts were a caribean (sp) which pretty much meant sea foods and the other pretty much had steak. Otherwise you had to eat at the buffet which did not have either. You have to stand in line in the a.m. and make reservations for the specialty restraunts. I hear if you stay awhile and give who ever a tip they'll put you down w/o standing in line. But I am not sure where I read this. I hate to say but I prefered the buffet and I am not a buffet type person. I am from MN and I didn't really care for the steak. But I have found I don't care for Angus beef which has become a big thing these days. So my opinion may not be worth anything.

Level Contributor
433 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ordering steak at all inclusives

I've read over and over again that the IB Lindo serves steak regularly. I have had steak at the Bahia Principe resort and the AI I went to in Cuba (it just wasn't what very good compared to Canadian standards)

I'm sure it depends greatly on the quality of the AI you choose, if you go for 4 or 5 stars and you'll probably get everything you are used to and much more. We were never charged extra for steak or lobster at the Bahia, and the selection of food and restaurants was almost overwhelming at times.

Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ordering steak at all inclusives

At the Sunscape Tulum, you could eat at the specialty restaurants with no limits and no reservations. We never had to wait for dinner at one of the specialty restaurants. I see this as a big advantage. We ate at the main buffet for breakfast only which had fabulous Mexican pastries and big, soft chocolate chip and sugar cookies. The specialty restaurants were Mexican, Sushi, Asian, and Italian.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ordering steak at all inclusives

Hi Punkie,

I don't know who your TA is but they are mistaken. Secrets has steak on every ala-carte menu, lobster on several and there is never any extra charge.

It continues to amaze me how ill informed a lot of so-called TA's are about destinations they send their clients to.

So, will you be gone during the playoffs?

Who Dey!

Saskatoon Sask
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ordering steak at all inclusives

You'll have to dine downtown to fine a good steak. Most of the steaks I've seen at all inclusives leave you with a new respect for Alberta Beef. Maybe 1/4 inch thick. I bet the beef was also free range land fed in Argentina. There is a difference folks.

We ate at the Parillia grill on 5th. Food was good but the "taste and Texture" was different. My buddies was pan fried in butter at the table on a open flame aclohol grill. Neat but dangerous. Raoul did a mumber on his cooking hand. Ouch, but he kept on smileing