We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have choices narrowed down: where would you stay?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kansas
Level Contributor
236 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Have choices narrowed down: where would you stay?

Thanks to the many people who have answered my previous questions, I have narrowed down my choices for a Feb. trip. We are a group of parents and teen boys (18 years old) and we are looking for the following: great beach, pool, food/drinks. We also love to dance so want a disco/bar with music on site. We also want to keep the kids "contained" in the resort and only plan on going into town one night. So after all that: here are the choices:

Gran Porto Real

Sandos Playacar

Catalonia Riviera Maya

Thanks for your help!

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have choices narrowed down: where would you stay?

Can't comment - haven't been to these resorts maybe someone else has. Personally, I would look at the Palladium Resorts or the Iberostar.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
369 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have choices narrowed down: where would you stay?

If keeping the kids contained is a major issue, take Gran Porto Real off your list because it is in the heart of down town Playa. And Sandos Playacar is about a 30-45 minute walk or 5 minute taxi ride away.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have choices narrowed down: where would you stay?

If you're looking for a great beach and are sticking to just those three resorts go with the Sandos.

kansas
Level Contributor
236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have choices narrowed down: where would you stay?

Am I missing any resorts that should be on the "short" list? Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have choices narrowed down: where would you stay?

If you want to contain the kids I would chose a resort that is not within walking distance to playa. The iberostar has a number of resorts a taxi ride from playa. The riu chain is great but they are within walking distance to playa.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have choices narrowed down: where would you stay?

Grand Sunset Princess???? Tons of pools, lots of food choices, disco on site.

I'm heading there in August, the price was right for everything it offered and it seems to be a mix of everything for all ages.

Yvr
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Have choices narrowed down: where would you stay?

Hi, just want to make sure you are aware of the fact that at 18 years old the boys will be given adult wrist bands and will me able to drink everywhere and everything. I have witnessed several young adults at AI getting bombed and no parents to be found. There have even been situations where whole families cut their vacation off and went home due to their kids new drinking habits. I am not insinuating all 18 year old kids go wild - but it happens a lot. Free booze all day long... I think the tequila really makes some go coco locco( I can always tell when my husband has had it- almost an instant drunk). So give the kids a little talk and trust them. Sandos is a wonderful resort , great beach and a $ 5 cab ride to PDC. My friends told me that the drinks at CAT are strong and the beach has coral and rocks underfoot. Don't know anything about the other place you mentioned.

Edited: 08 June 2010, 18:32
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have choices narrowed down: where would you stay?

Sandos has the best beach, Catalonia Riviera Maya nice resort but the beach is not the best!!! Enjoy your trip!!!

9. Re: Have choices narrowed down: where would you stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2010, 07:24