We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

I read on the TSA website about the regs concerning liquids, gels, and aersols for carry on bags. They call it 3-1-1, but no single container can be larger than 3oz and all must fit in one quart sized ziplock bag. http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

I was unable to find out if there are restrictions for checked bags? My concerns are for liquids (contact solution for 4 people, etc...) and gels (sunscreen, after burn stuff, etc...) larger than 3oz? Are there any such restrictions?

I didn't think there were, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

The restrictions for the 3-1-1 rule are for carry on purposes only! You can put all of your liquids in your checked luggage w/ no worries, no matter what size they are but if you choose to carry any items on they must meet the 3-1-1 rule.

Edited: 09 June 2010, 22:01
Alberta
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

No problem in checked bags. You can put a couple of quarts of whisky in there if you like.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

Even though there are no restrictions for checked luggage, think about taking smaller bottles of shampoo, lotion, etc. Otherwise, the weight adds up really fast. A big bottle of shampoo can weigh two pounds, a few of those and it gets easy to go over your weight limit.

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

Also it would be good idea to put lotions & things alike in ziplock bags...they have been known to blow apart (explode) from the air pressure changes...That would mean lotiony clothes...not good..

Lemmon, South Dakota
Level Contributor
364 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

My last trip I put all my lotions, etc. in a soft sided cooler. Worked like a dream. Just carried that bag to the bathroom and set the items on the counter and had my cooler for the beach.

Another good travel tip is to buy an inexpensive see through shoe holder that hangs on a door. You can put your medicine, qtips, face creams, make up, etc in the pockets and hang it on your bathroom door. You can easily find your 'stuff.' Especially handy if your bathroom does not have much counter space. My Jan. trip I had my daily vitamins, etc. in a pill holder on the counter in Negril and they were found by an army of ants. They really liked the vitamin C. So now I will put them on the door in my hanger.

Also.....pack half of your clothes in your partner's suitcase and vice versa in case one piece of luggage gets lost during the flight.

You sounded like you haven't flown much so wanted to give a few hints I've picked up along the way.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,003 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

Love the cooler idea lemmon, very inventive.

Another tip - make sure anything essential such as prescription meds, prescription eyeglass etc. is in your carry on. Under no circumstances should you EVER put this sort of thing or anything very valuable (such as cameras) in your checked bag. Checked bags can and do go astray and valuable items may be stolen.

Oh, and make sure you have a pen with you on the plane - you'll need it to fill out the Customs & Immigration form that will be handed out just before you land at Cancun.

HTH and have a great trip.

Edited: 10 June 2010, 05:57
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

Last trip I actually used my cooler as my carry on, it held my books, camera,snacks etc.....

Only downside is customs, if you have a cooler they will stop and inspect it whether you get the green light or not, no biggie though and totally great to have my cooler all week.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

No limits in checked bags, unless expressly prohibited (check TSA website).

Good idea to double-bag liquids in zip-lock bags. DOnt bring huge bottles.

If you have Meds, and the bottles are large, you could try asking pharmacist to repackage in small bottles. I know a lot of peeps use the M-S pill boxes, but I always think its a better idea to keep them in original bottles.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

Thanks for the cooler and shoe holder idea! I will definitely use them next winter.

10. Re: Checked Bags - Liquids, Gels, etc...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2010, 07:43