We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton
Level Contributor
116 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

Hi, we go out on 27 June and there is a relly small baggage allowance of 15kg with Thomas Cook, tight gets!

I was wondering if anyone has been over and whether they got charged?

kendal, uk
Destination Expert
for Kendal
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

Oh yes !!!! Either be prepared to pay a shed load more, or be really frugal with your packing !!

We managed back in april with 15kg each ( mine was 13kg in the end !) for 2 weeks, I guess its usually your toiletries that weigh so much if its in your hold luggage, so you could either buy it all airside and stick it in your hand luggage or wait till you get to mexico.

good luck packing !!

have a great time !

Bolton
Level Contributor
116 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

Oh dear, thanks for the heads up. Ive just bought a new suitcase this morning from Argos, says its the worlds lightest. Its 2.5kg lighter than my other one and cost £24.99 half price. Thats cheaper than paying for the extra baggage haha, and I get to keep the case :)

england
Level Contributor
159 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

We were charged when going to gambia earlier in the year,we had paid for 20k my case was slightly over my hysbands under,we had no hand baggage,and we were charged,the people in next to us were well over and didnt get charged,but what realy annoyed us was what people had taken on aircraft very large heavy hand luggage,that the crew would not accept and it was put in the old,and one very large suit case which the crew could not lift,and that had to be taken to be put in the old,how all this luggage got to the aircraft i will never know,wrote to thomas cook in march,no reply yet,also they had 19 meals for a full aircraft,so we paid again for food or got nothing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

2upfront Are you sure you only get 15kgs? I am flying with Thomas Cook to The Royal PDC on Sunday and we have 20kgs each, plus 5kgs each for hand luggage.

We haven't upgraded our seats either, just standard ones.

It doesn't seem fair that we are using the same company, going to the same place, but you get less?

I know you can upgrade online but they charge £90 for an extra 10kgs - each way!!

Edited: 11 June 2010, 12:06
Bolton
Level Contributor
116 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

yep, 15kg defo. Did you book well in advance? They could have changed the rules since you booked. I only booked about 5 weeks ago. I must say I didnt know this when I booked. I go to a lot of places and I will not be flying with them again!

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

Checked their site, and yes talk about a cut rate outfit. My thoughts would be to use a durable but very light shopping bag that fits their dimensions for a carry-on. I see liquids and gels are allowed up to 100 ml each container, with it all fitting in a 1 liter plastic bag. It would be worth your while to buy what you need to fit those limits. That kind of stuff can be expensive in Mexico at resorts. For your checked (hold) luggage perhaps use a duffel type bag rather than a normal travel bag.

Sure glad the packages from here are not that restrictive.

llantwit fardre
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

you will absolutely get charged with whoever you are flying with. We were always a couple of kilos over but about 3 years ago the companies became less lenient and started to charge us whether we were flying Caribbean or Europe so Mexico will be the same. We have 20k with a Iberostar Quetzal holiday but I notice some of the hotels only give 15kgs as part of their package holiday

england
Level Contributor
159 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

Hi a pal of mine has just shown me a letter she got from thomson,it states from this month if you are over weight you can no longer pay at check in you will have to take items out of your case,we are traveling with them but so far received no letter it might depend were you are traveling to,does as anybody else heard of this.

Llandudno U.K.
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

Hi Pimmy,

We are flying with Thomson to mexico and have not had a letter.

Berwyn

Liverpool
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook Baggage are they charging anyone?

Hi Mike

I see you bought the cases then, ha ha. They are great aren't they, especially because they come with a ten year warrenty.

With regards to the 20kilo allowance with TC, I think we have got 20kilo's because the Royal is from their 'Style' (luxury range), which means you get a little extra. I am sure it say's this in the brochure.

Also, a little tip to cut down on weight. If you can, buy your suncreams/toileteriees at the airport after security. You can take what ever you want on then, and we all know that suncreams etc take up alot of our weight. We have brought our creams at Boots over here, only because we were worried they would not have the big Soltan's, but as for the rest of the stuff we need, we are getting it from the airport Boots. It is no more expensive than the normal one.

Also, with regards to hand luggage, we were orginally going to buy a small carry on case, but after seeing the weight of the majority of these 2-3 kilos, I have decided that I am going to get a cheap carry on bag fron Primark (you can get them for about £4) that weights next to nothing, and put all of my swim wear in this and any other little bits. My partner is going to do the same. We have never took hand luggage before, so this seems the best things for us to do.

Finally, a little tip for the ladies, (although you may already do this), I always take my handbag and just keep it on my shoulder and they never say anything, despite the fact that I must have about 3 kilos of stuff in it! I put all my 'in flight' stuff in it, such as books, mags, documents etc, which obviously add up!

I never thought I would be paying attention to the weight of suitcases, but you have to now all the agents want to try and bleed us dry on excess. Good luck at the check in everyone, I bloody hate it, ha ha.

Edited: 11 June 2010, 18:17