We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIM or SSS Any suggestions

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
VIM or SSS Any suggestions

Tomorrow I am going to book either the Secrets Silversands or the Valentin Imperial Maya for Sept 17-24. We spent last Sept at the VIM and really loved it. My wife and travel agent are trying to have me book the SSS. Wife thinks we need to try different places, and our travel agent thinks I will really enjoy Secrets. Price is not an issue as there is less than $150 total difference between them.

We have been fortunate to have had 28 trips in the last 11 years staying at 17 different resorts, so we do repeat on occasion.

Any help on this subject in the next 16 hours would be appreciated.

My preference leans towards the VIM since our time there last Sept. was wonderful and I already know my way around the place.

USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIM or SSS Any suggestions

I've stayed at VIM but not at SSS but was looking at it last summer when they were doing a 1/2 off sale. I decided against SSS because the beach seems to be less than ideal. Also I really like the hacienda feel of VIM and SSS seems to have a more modern look. What I gathered is that pool people are just fine with SSS but that beach people are not as happy. Either way I hope you guys enjoy your vacation!!

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIM or SSS Any suggestions

From what I've seen in pics the beach at the SSS leaves something to be desired. I will most likely pick the VIM as the beach was pretty good and I know the layout of the resort. It won't require me to be 'semi-lost' for a day and a half like when visiting a new resort.

Locust Grove...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIM or SSS Any suggestions

Bookit Has a $99 price for VIM and several others, expiring midnight tom'r I think in case you don't know about it. That might make the decision for you!

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIM or SSS Any suggestions

Nanasal, I am pretty sure the $99 Bookit.com special for the VIM ended on Mon. June 14th, like I posted on my thread Mon. I just checked & they are still running the VIM for $119 pp in a basic suite but they are also still running the 5 Star Luxury Mystery Resort Only Adults in Riviera Maya which is the VIM. You can see the VALEMYS in the url line but once you book you can't cancel unlike the regular booking @ $119 which I believe you can cancel up to a few days b4 your date for just $19. The rates are excellent for the VIM either way but DonCarlos, you already know the VIM is an incredible resort. Good luck w/ your choice. Here is the link to the mystery resort w/ your dates already entered.

from.bookit.com/addons.php…

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIM or SSS Any suggestions

I checked on Bookit and it is $150 less than Apple. I prefer Apple because the flight is a charter, non stop and leaves 7a arrives 9:30a. Bookit offers a 2 stop and takes 13 hours. That's a full wasted day. Not for me.

Thanks anyway for the tip. We have always used Apple or Funjet because of the charters and the short fly time.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIM or SSS Any suggestions

DonCarlos ,

I agree with you about bookit.com, even from New York where you got a ton of non-stop flights to Cancun, bookit.com most of time will have some weird way of getting there. Sure you can book thru them non-stop but you will pay a 'pretty penny'. With bookit.com I would do the hotel only, and book airfare alone, at least from NY I get a better deal.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VIM or SSS Any suggestions

We loved the Valentin as well! You can always find an Apple TA and show them the price on BookIt-most times they can match or beat. At least my TA can- Tami with Trip Surfer Vacations. She's awesome.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: VIM or SSS Any suggestions

I think it comes down to whether you want a swimming beach or if that does not matter. SSS does not really have much of a beach, We have previewed the property and it is quite lovely however we are beach people and love swimming in the ocean so that was a deal breaker for us. The pools all looked very, very nice.

Morton, IL
Level Contributor
935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: VIM or SSS Any suggestions

DonCarlos,

I was at SSS last October for a girls trip, but I haven't been to VIM. I keep looking at VIM, but what I see is that it's just so big compared to SSS and that you don't have an ocean view from the pools (at least from what it looks like in the pics).

What I loved about SSS was hanging out in the infinity pool and looking out at the ocean. Awesome drink & food service too right to the pool's edge!The Baracuda bar next to the infinity pool is also a wonderful place perched over the beach and we spent many hours there day & night. It was very warm in October, and both places were great for catching the breezes.

The size of SSS is perfect and very easy to get around...probably only take you 10 minutes to find your way around! And we loved the huge hot tub with the ocean view!

As far as the beach, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It was beautiful to look at, and we even got in the water. Yes, it's very rocky directly out from the Barracuda bar and infinity pool, but it's not at the area near the Azul resort next door or in front of that resort.

I have a ton of pictures and a photobook I can send you a link to if you're interested. Good luck with your decision!!

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VIM or SSS Any suggestions

I have never booked airfare w/ Bookit.com & Sig already hit the nail on the head w/ the reasons why we refuse to use them for air, we just use them for resort bookings & do our airfare separately, it is much cheaper & a lot more convenient that way. I can't remember ever booking our airfare & resort together w/ any company. Have you looked into booking them separately? USA3000 has non stop flights for your dates, $159pp to CUN & $139pp returning to St. Louis, the rates are not that great but no that bad either. hth