We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIM or Royal Pkaya de Carmen

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abington...
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
VIM or Royal Pkaya de Carmen

am thinking of staying at VIM but Royal has great prices out for 2011-cheaper than VIM> anyone who has stayed at both i would love to hear what u think. we love pool bars,big pool-lots of bars and nightly entertainment and great food, I know Royak is in toiwn which makes it easy fir a nite out but we have some young ladys in their early 20's and i thought maybe Valentine quld be safer. Any comments i would love to hear

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIM or Royal Pkaya de Carmen

I stayed at the Valentin last year but RPDC was a strong contender and, at that time, the prices were pretty close.

The VIM was lovely but its location is pretty remote. I understand the safety aspect but I think your 20-somethings might be a bit bored at the VIM. Although the Plaza is a fun time for, ahem, the more mature of us, party central it ain't and I can definitely see it being far too tame for a younger, non-couple crowd.

So, although I haven't stayed there myself, I'm thinking the RPDC may be a better fit.

HTH

Edited: 19 June 2010, 00:55
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIM or Royal Pkaya de Carmen

We've stayed at both and from the sounds of your interests I think the Royal would be the place to go.

the Royal is right in town. The resort caters to more of the younger crowd who after having dinner and some drinks will then move into town for entertainment - hence very little entertainment at night at the hotel. Much more of a party/active kind of scene at the resort. Lots of couples but also lots of singles.

The Valentin is marvelous and we are returning there in a month. Caters much more to couples rather than any singles and the youngest age tends to be late 20's and then up to 60's. It is a wonderful place and has everything that we are looking for which is romance, great food, wine and some mild entertainment. We are also not looking going into town but will probably cab it one evening for a change. I worry that the younger group, especially if single, will be bored at the VIM.

Otherwise, both are great in terms of accomodations, food, service, beach and pools. The difference IMO lies in the kind of clientelle and atmosphere.....

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIM or Royal Pkaya de Carmen

My husband and I are 30. We went to RPDC in October 2008 and we LOVED it. We debated back and forth b/c VIM was about $200 cheaper than RPDC. We decided that being in PDC was worth the extra cost and we were right. NOTHING like being IN PDC to walk around at night, check out the sites, no cabs needed. I'd book RPDC for any couple in their 20s, or any couple at all for that matter. Not to say that VIM is a bad resort- it's a great resort for sure. It's just not in the best location when comparing the 2. RPDC wins hands down for location and I know for myself that very few resorts if any can beat the service we received at RPDC. You really can't go wrong with either choice. I just think that the location of RPDC beats out VIM every time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
712 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: VIM or Royal Pkaya de Carmen

We are not scheduled to stay at VIM until the end of the year and we have not stayed at RPDC (yet!). However, we did stop into the RPDC during our trip to the Riviera Maya last December to check it out. If I were in my early 20's again, I would definitely LOVE the Royal as it is located within steps of lots of shopping and night life! It is a beautiful hotel and offers everything that a mature couple would want as well as cater to the younger adults in your group.

We found the Royal's proximity to 5th Avenue very handy and felt it was very safe to walk through at night. I noticed many young people leaving the Royal to head out for evening entertainment on foot (since you do not require a cab to get anywhere). You can walk to Coco Bongo's (one of the hottest entertainment venues in PDC) as well as all the wonderful beach side bars and clubs. If the Royal is cheaper than the Valentin during your dates of travel, I would book it for sure! As lovely as the Valentin is, it has very little shopping & night life that would appeal to young ladies in their 20's!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIM or Royal Pkaya de Carmen

I was at the Royal PDC in 2008, and they have a wonderful pool. If you do book them, please note that you have free access to their sister property across the street, the Gran Porto. You may ask yourself, why would I go there, there are ghastly children allowed there! Well, since you mentioned pool bars as a deciding criterion, there is a fabulous rooftop pool on top of the Porto. Very quiet, swim up bar, never saw a kid there. My favorite place on that trip. Reading a book at the swim up bar, with instantaneous bartender service was a slice of heaven for me. Roof top jacuzzi too!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIM or Royal Pkaya de Carmen

Swegert - thanks for your tip about the Porto's pool. I stayed at VIM twice, and loved it, but I too found some great prices for 2011 at RPDC. A great swimup bar is a priority and from the pictures of RPDC's, there's no comparison to VIM's swimup bars. Knowing there are options, I most likely will book RPDC. I'm excited to be in town, sure beats paying the taxi fares just to go to town. I think we'll head to Coz for the day also,

7. Re: VIM or Royal Pkaya de Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 06:16