We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs in PDC

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs in PDC

My kids are leaving December 17th for Riu Tequilla and were advinsed to bring bug spray. Anyone else heard or experience anything?

Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs in PDC

I keep hearing of a mosquito problem, but have not been bitten by one since Wilma. That is not to say they are not around. Maybe they don't like my gringo blood. In any event, it is always a good idea to bring bug spray/cream with you.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs in PDC

I didn't have any bugs bite me. My husband, who is a bug magnet, only had a problem when we went off on day trips away from the water. We've gone to PDC the past 3 years in December and have never used bug spray.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,940 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs in PDC

Just pack the bug spray, it's an easy thing to do. I am at Secrets Capri right now and I'm getting eaten alive! Mostly they sneak in to our room at night and get me while I am trying to sleep. It's like something out of a horror movie. They are swelling up like crazy, besides just itching. Last night one bit me on my upper lip. Instantly it swelled to 3X it's normal size. Great! Hubby went and got me ice and it seemed to help a bit.

I've never had a problem before, and always packed it. This time I unpacked bug spray at the last min and sure wish I hadn't!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,442 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs in PDC

I think a lot depends on location. I know the urban areas like Playa and Cozumel spray constantly for mosquitos and here in Cozumel no problem right now.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs in PDC

The insect that most people are bothered by while on the beach is what is commonly referred to as a "sand flea". Sand flea refers to many different types of parasites depending on what part of the world you are in.

It is actually not even a flea. In mexico it is a gnat or mini-mosquito. The symptons are a little red dot, not anything like a mosquito. I have been bothered by real mosquitos at night.

Bring any repellent that contains "deet".

Also bring a can of orange citrus air freshener. Spray it along your doors and windows and it will help keep the other insects out or kill them on contact.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs in PDC

Orange citrus air freshener kills bugs on contact? Learn something every day. Have to try that - rather than the stinky bug killers

I use.