We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours book at hotel or before you arrive

costa mesa
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Tours book at hotel or before you arrive

Is it better to book tours before you arrive or at your hotel? Looking at a 1 day trip to Cozumel for snorkeling/see the sights. We are staying at Grand Sunset Princess

Thank you in advance

Exotik Mayan Tours
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Mercanti Viaggi
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Paseo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
The Custom Tour by Rod Ratner
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours book at hotel or before you arrive

Either way works but what works for me is booking once on the ground. You may not feel like going the scheduled day, or the weather may be less than ideal. By booking on the ground, you give yourself more flexibility.

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours book at hotel or before you arrive

I would always wait to book after you arrive. You may see something else you like, or like said before, you can try to avoid weather issues.

Plus, you can shop around. Do not feel obligated to use the rep from your travel company, even though they will try to convince you that you should.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours book at hotel or before you arrive

A few years ago I had an itinerary, last winter a list of things to do because I'm learning that we are going to spend a lot more time just relaxing and walking the beach and what looks like a normal day at home is going to be way to much for us on vacation speed!

One thing we've always done is wait until we are on vacation BEFORE booking any tours. The mood will change, cloudy days for tours are the goal.

texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours book at hotel or before you arrive

I would not plan to go snorkling on a cloudy day, its best when sunny. Light penetrates through the water.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours book at hotel or before you arrive

You can head over to Cozumel on your own, how to get there can be found on the right under Top Questions. Along with lots of other snorkeling info for the turtles in Akumal Bay or Puerto Morelos (way less travel time than Coz)

Check out the Cozumel forum for tons of info and snorkel info can be found on the left under Things to Do.

I tend not to make plans and rarely do organized tours (only if it's impossible to DIY). Enjoy your trip! :) CW

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours book at hotel or before you arrive

Book when you get there. The weather is impossible to predict.

New York
Level Contributor
341 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours book at hotel or before you arrive

i agree with the last posting. WAIT, and book once you arrive. you want to make sure the day is good for outdoor activities, especially in the ocean. also, depending on where you stay, some resorts offer discount prices to places you want to go.

8. Re: Tours book at hotel or before you arrive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 06:17