We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conflicting Reviews

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
259 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Conflicting Reviews

Hi,

My family and I are going to the Iberostar Paraiso del Mar from April 21 to the 28 in 2006. I have been trying to keep track of the reviews I read. I realize this resort has been "hit" by Hurricane Wilma, but it's supposed to be 100% opperational on Dec. 15, isn't it? Some reviews I read say it's excellent. There is still work to be done, but it is as great as it possibly can be. Other reviews say it's deplorible and not worth the money. Can I get an honest opinion about the resort. Will everything be back to Iberostar standards in April?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conflicting Reviews

The area depends heavily on tourism for its livlihood. It is incredible how quickly they get things up and running, repaired, replaced, etc. By April you probably won't even know there was a hurricane with the exception of some of the foliage. I can't comment on the beach there, though. Maybe someone who has been there recently can. In some cases, the hurricane helped the beaches there while other suffered a lot of erosion.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conflicting Reviews

Go to www.iberostar-board.com for some feedback from people who have just been there. I am going Dec. 24th and have no qualms about it. Things are all operational. Of course the foliage will take time to grow, but they are doing a lot of replanting.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conflicting Reviews

bump!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conflicting Reviews

Bump!

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conflicting Reviews

Was just there (well, at the Lindo, but used the del Mar's buffet sometimes). Everything looked great. Don't see how anyone could complain.

Yes, people are still working, but mostly now it is paint touch ups and landscaping, not really any structural work.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
429 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conflicting Reviews

It will be perfect again by the time you go. Don't worry.

We stayed at the Beach which is supposed to be the same, and were impressed with the speed they got this resort back up.

Only problem - The food was not up to par, and there were many flies, but I put that on the remenants of Wilma.

Pool area is gorgeous. Beach area is beautiful.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
429 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Conflicting Reviews

I have just posted a 'detailed' description of my I.B. Beach vacation. It should be available for browsing by the end of this week. If there are any ??? you can ask here and I will attempt to give you the truthful answers as I remember them.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Conflicting Reviews

Thanks!