We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me out with this...I am currently booked at the Catalonia Royal but for about 200 more my boyfriend and I can go to the Valentin...it definitely looks more luxurious however I'm worried about the reviews on the beach? Can anyone tell me more about it? Is the water that nice clear blue that you expect to see in the Caribbean? I am not a distance swimmer but I like to wade in and have it be clear and seaweed free. Last year my boyfriend and I went to Atlantis and I LOVED wading around in the clear blue "lagoon area"!

Valentin seems like a better hotel overall except Catalonia Royal has a fantastic beach....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

By the way this is our first all inclusive in Mexico!

Edited: 25 June 2010, 20:27
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

I would choose the Valentin. The beach was nice, but was rocky in a few areas. You can just go in at different places. Check out my review and let me know if you have any questions. I have the restaurant menus as well that I can email you if you PM me.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

going to VIM in a few weeks! would you mind sending me some of the menus? curious about the food selections...thanks!

karen

Toronto
Level Contributor
590 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

rocky and extremely wavy.

If you want calm water like Bahamas the beach at VIM is not a good fit

Toronto
Level Contributor
590 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Is it the Catalonia Tulum?

I just looked at some pics and the beach looks way nicer than the VIM also it looks like the pool loungers are all cushioned and comfy unlike the rock hard blue chairs at VIM

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Catalonia Royal has a gorgeous white sand beach with turquoise water.

What is important to you? If you plan on spending most of your time in your room then VIM is definitely a better choice from the pictures I've seen. If you want to spend time on soft white sand then Catalonia is your place.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Hello teachgal, Like you, I live in Florida - Bonita Springs - and I loved the beach at VIM (been there twice). I hardly ever enter the pool (even in my own lanai!), preferring to swim in the ocean. I've been able to swim in clear, blue water there most days - HOWEVER, it is in a very large, roped off section - parts of the coastline have coral, making it a bit difficult to enter the water; but, it is a wide beach, picturesque, and you can walk for miles. Just like any coastal place, tides, currents and weather can affect the wave action.....I like calmer water! I've also stayed at Catalonia Royal (when it was Copacabana) and there too, some days the waves were too much for me to enter the ocean. Like VIM, the beach there is beautiful, but...(IMO) Vim is a much more upscale resort - BUT, I do admit to being high maintenance <grin> BTW, I'm usually on the beach from 8am to 5pm..... not in my room..... Happy travels, Margaret

Colleyville, Texas
Level Contributor
687 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

We've been to CRT twice and will probably return again this October. Great service, fantastic beach and lower priced. Not much to do activity wise and not much nightlife. A nice, but fairly basic resort.

Haven't been to the VIM, but have talked to several people who have. Some were disappointed because of the beach, some thought the price paid was too high for what they received. Many disliked the class system in place there. From what I hear, though, the food and nightlife at the VIM is quite a bit better than at CRT, and the resort infrastructure much nicer.

Guess it just depends on what you're looking for.

Rio

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Thank you for all your replies....We are still in the process of deciding and just want to ensure that the room/entertainment at CRT is pretty good in case we are there in bad weather...this happened with our bahamas trip (rained everyday) and we were glad we had a comfy room with many amenties and lots to do nearby (other than the beach) nearby.

As far as price, VIM will only be about 100 more as I found a special package...so it really is just a matter of which is a better fit for us..

Any other thoughts/comments would be great!

Thanks again everyone!

Edited: 26 June 2010, 00:27
Toronto
Level Contributor
590 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

The bed at VIM is comfortable and it appears upscale by the pictures.

However, the room is wearing quickly. Duvet cover and throw pillows are dirty and stained. You may get a room with clean surroundings though.

Graham, TX
Level Contributor
252 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Urastar obviously had a bad experience at the VIM because every post is negative towards it. The beach is rocky in most places, but there is a huge roped off area that is great for swimming in. Never been to the other place, but VIM was great when we were there!!