We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me out with this...I am currently booked at the Catalonia Royal but for about 200 more my boyfriend and I can go to the Valentin...it definitely looks more luxurious however I'm worried about the reviews on the beach? Can anyone tell me more about it? Is the water that nice clear blue that you expect to see in the Caribbean? I am not a distance swimmer but I like to wade in and have it be clear and seaweed free. Last year my boyfriend and I went to Atlantis and I LOVED wading around in the clear blue "lagoon area"!

Valentin seems like a better hotel overall except Catalonia Royal has a fantastic beach....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

By the way this is our first all inclusive in Mexico!

Edited: 25 June 2010, 20:27
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
720 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Love2Norkel ~ Thanks for mentioning that there are a few handicap rooms in buildings 1 & 2 and that they do not have tubs in them (which makes complete sense). I guess the odds of receiving one of these rooms is slim but its good to be aware of their existence if having a tub is important during your stay.

Edited: 27 June 2010, 15:01
Denver
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Go with Valentin...... I stayed at the Catalonia and there was a lot of theft, guest having their things gone though and a lot of sick guest... I will never go back!

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Hi there went to the Cat a couple of years ago I would go with the val.The Cat is nice but the entertain was cheesy.Its a small resort with only one pool,no swim up bar,no tubs in bath,and very jungly your room will be dark because you look out at jungle and buggy.Food was great no reservations and beach was beautiful.I havent been to the Val but it is a newer resort with alot more options and would say one step up from the Cat.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
720 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Just watched a GREAT video of CRT on YouTube and I highly recommend that everyone who is interested in this resort watch it. It was shot last month and with the exception of the extra loungers on the beach, this is exactly what the ocean and resort looked like when we were there last December (before the weather turned cold and rainy). There is a brief shot of the interior of a non-renovated Standard room with double beds which will help people see the difference between a Standard room at CRT and VIM's basic Deluxe Jr Suites.

BTW, the guy who created this video is a wee bit of a "people watcher" and obviously liked to capture footage of the pretty girls on the beach, lol! Too funny!

Video of Catalonia Royal Tulum Pool & Beach:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-5YkzQxiMY

For comparison purposes I am also including a YouTube video of VIM's pool & beach that was filmed last year.

Video of VIM's Pools & Beach:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJbOJwoVoqc

You will notice that the distance that people wade out in the ocean is almost identical at both resorts.

YouTube does have several more video's of both resorts in case anyone is interested in seeing additional details of the interiors.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

No disrespect, Rainemaker but from just looking at the videos, it can be clearly seen that guests are able to go out futher at CRT before the water starts getting deep. The guests can be seen further out and yet the water is only knee to waist deep. From the videos and experiencing it first hand last month, water gets deeper sooner at the VIM. In the VIM video guests can be seen only half as far out as guests were at CRT but the water is chest and shoulder deep. For easy comparison got to 53 seconds in on the CRT video and 2:12 minutes in on the VIM video. I just want the OP to have accurate information as this aspect does seem important to the OP.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
720 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

I totally agree about wanting accurate information, it's very important to me too! This is the reason I am posting links to videos so that people can see these beaches with their own eyes and not rely strictly on photo's or another persons opinion. Since I have been to CRT and spent as much time in the ocean that I could, I can confirm that you can wade out a good bit when the water is calm. When the water is rougher and the waves are larger (and this does happen at CRT, make no mistake) then you are not going to be able to wade out further than those at VIM. I honestly cannot "see" how many extra feet further you can go out at CRT compared to the video of VIM, but it didn't look like a massive difference to my eyes.

My DH and I would joke about the difference in distance we could wade out at CRT depending on the day. If the beach and wading conditions are one of the most important features to the OP, then she will definitely love CRT more than VIM. Of course the reason this thread was created in the first place was because the person wanted to know if they should switch resorts since the price difference is so small, not whether they could wade out 10 feet further at one resort compared to the other. The truth is you can wade out at BOTH but will have more of an opportunity to enjoy the water at CRT.

I have been to Atlantis as well, in fact, I have traveled to several islands in the Bahamas and almost left Canada and moved to one years ago. It is virtually impossible not to fall head over heels in love with the endless turquoise hues of the ocean in the Bahamas. There are islands that are so untouched & unpopulated that it literally feels like you have washed ashore to your own deserted paradise. I was never out of the water and would often lounge on sandbars that felt as if I was suspended on top of a sheet of sparkling turquoise diamonds (that's how calm the water could be). One of the most AMAZING experiences I have ever had.

The CRT is closer to a Bahamas experience in terms of the different turquoise hues of the ocean but the water wasn't as consistently calm. The multiple hues of the ocean can be observed much more easily when the water isn't rough as the sand isn't being churned up and causing cloudiness.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

I pointed out the distance of the wading because the OP specifically stated, "I am not a distance swimmer but I like to wade in and have it be clear and seaweed free. Last year my boyfriend and I went to Atlantis and I LOVED wading around in the clear blue "lagoon area"." In my opinion, this does make it sound important to the OP. Regardless of how calm the water is, it gets deep rather quickly at the VIM. Obviously this is worse when there are waves, which there were the whole time we were there. Hopefully the water will be calmer for whomever is there next.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
720 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

I never said that wading wasn't important to the OP, I simply pointed out that it wasn't her primary reason for creating this thread. Wading in a lagoon is also quite different from wading in the ocean, so the OP is not going to receive the same experience at CRT or VIM regardless of which resort she goes to. If she prefers a lagoon over a beach, she should look into ASP further, as you suggested. ASP wouldn't appeal to me because I wouldn't be happy without an adult-oriented beach to enjoy, but that's me. :)

My husband is not a strong swimmer either and he loves to wade in the ocean and/or stand and jump waves. We are aware that the water could be fine or rough depending on the day at VIM. Sadly nothing is guaranteed to be ideal regardless of where you go. I thought we had safeguarded our beach and ocean fun by booking the CRT last year, but when the weather turned nasty it just wasn't possible to enjoy the beautiful sand and water until the sun decided to make an appearance again.

What that experience taught me is that I really need to examine all the features of a vacation property so that I can increase my opportunities for fun regardless of the weather (or how rough the ocean is, lol).

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,490 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

In my opinion if god forbid the weather would be bad for most of my stay, I would rather not be at Valentin or Catalonia.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
720 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Valentin or Catalonia Royal

Which hotel or adults-only resort would you prefer to stay at if the weather was bad, Sig?