We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Excursion

phoenix, az
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Favorite Excursion

My husband and I are staying at SMB in November (our first visit to the region). To those who have already been to Playa del Carmen, if you had to pick only one excursion during your visit, what would it be? Thank for any info!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
73 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Excursion

We just got back from the Yucatan the other day. We spent 4 nights of our vacation in Playa del Carmen. Without knowing what your interest are , it is kinda difficult to pick just one "excursion" close to Playa ,but heres some ideas based on what we did. All are within an hours drive or ferry from Playa-

1- Akumal- Small beach community south of Playa. Great white sand beach with swaying cocanut palms, clear water. Easy (and free) snorkeling from the shore, with lots of tropical fish and sea turtles. Best spot in front of Lol Ha Snack bar ,find a shady palm spread out your towel and relax. Good food there also, try the shrimp tacos w tamarind salsa,yum!

2-Cozumel- Take the ferry from Playa , and take a taxi to Dzul Ha aka The Money Bar. This beach club is just a short distance south of town. They have lockers, chairs, and a good restaraunt .Great free off shore snorkeling. It was like swimming in a tropical aquarium. The beach isnt much, mostly rocky. But the snorkeling is great.

3-Tulum ruins- About an hour south of Playa , you will find these great ruins in a beautiful cliff side location overlooking the Caribean. The structures are pretty well preserved , wild Iguanas everywhere and you can go swimming at the beach ,which is great. Until you do it , its hard to describe the sensation of swimming in the warm waters , with a view of the cliffs and Mayan ruins, Amazing!

4-Hidden Worlds- Also about an hour south of Playa . This eco park offers the usual ziplines. But its main attractions are the snorkeling tours in the different "cenotes" (water filled caves) that are in this jungle park. The caves are amazing and beautiful. They also offer what they call a sky cycle that takes you on a tree top tour of the jungle. Very cool! Great staff also.

All these day trips are cheap and easily accessable with local transportation ,or if you have a rental car, even better. Hope this helps, Enjoy.

Marion, North...
Level Contributor
732 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Excursion

Oh! We were just in Playa last week! I have to say that the Tulum abd Beyond tour we took from Yucatreks was wondeful! Eder is a great guide!

phoenix, az
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Excursion

Thank you so much for the fantastic ideas! Sounds like we will have to do all of them! Thanks

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Excursion

RockinfromPDX,

Welcome back. Sounds like you had a wonderful time in PDC and the area.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,741 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Excursion

Add . www.edventuretours.com.mx to the mix. They are very user friendly. Pick you up from your resort or hotel, take you back & set up a custom tour of things that appeal to you. They offer snorkeling in cenotes, Akumal Bay and Yal-Ku lagoon. They have their own zip lines and diving cliff. Family run and your guides will be with you all day.

I have heard nothing but good things about Yucatreks.

Xcaret and Xplor are a lot of fun as well. You may have to come back to the Maya Riviera for another vacation.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Excursion

Snorkel with turtles in Akumal Bay is my absolute fave! Since you are at SMB, there is horseback riding next door at Rancho Baaxal.

More info for things to do on the right under Top Questions and Itineraries. Have fun! :) CW

Marion, North...
Level Contributor
732 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Excursion

I want to come back for another vacation, I've been having withdrawls all week

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
73 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Excursion

Zacharysmommy- Yes, We had a great time. Thanks again for all the info before we left. We did and expierienced sooooo much,that we were pleasently exhausted every night. What a great place the Yucatan is. It is nice to be home though. There's no replacing that feeling of sleeping in your own bed.

9. Re: Favorite Excursion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 07:17