We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paying for your hotel via money wire???

wayne, NJ
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
paying for your hotel via money wire???

My hotel (a rather reputable hotel here on TA) wants me to pay via a bank wire to an individual's bank account here in Miami Beach Fl. This seems like a sketchy way to do business to me, and I was wondering if anyone has done this or knows anything about this...

I have reservations for Christmas to New Years and so I have to pay soon, but I do not want to get the old okey doke.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paying for your hotel via money wire???

what hotel? and NO WAY. Always pay with a credit card, that way you have some recourse if things aren't acceptable.

wayne, NJ
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: paying for your hotel via money wire???

It was hotel la tortuga...

and the wire transfer is'nt even going to a company name, but an individual's bank account...

They used my cc to hold the reservations but when they took it originally, said they could not process..

Any suggestions???

USA
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: paying for your hotel via money wire???

re: cc

One of my CC companies wouldn't process my charge to Mexico until I called them and told them it was OK. They were afraid of fraudulant charges. I authorized the charge and they processed it. I think is was Capital One VISA.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,811 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paying for your hotel via money wire???

Sounds like the hotel has a Miami agent who gets the money up front and keeps his cut before sending on to the hotel. I would not be at all comfortable doing this.

xm
los angeles
Level Contributor
409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paying for your hotel via money wire???

Call the hotel directly and reserve with a credit card. Mos hotel websites have a form for you to add your credit card info so that they will hold the room for you. call them directly

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
954 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paying for your hotel via money wire???

No Way!! I have NEVER heard of such a thing. Find another hotel or go through a travel agent if you must stay at this hotel.

ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paying for your hotel via money wire???

actually - we had to do this a few years back when staying in troncones at a bed and brkfst. took me awhile to make sure it was okay - i did lots of research, made some phone calls and it was all legit.

wiinipeg
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: paying for your hotel via money wire???

Is there anymore information on if transferring the money to a Miami account is legit or not?

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: paying for your hotel via money wire???

Well, my impression is that you're not getting a very balanced answer here. In fact paying via wire transfer is not unusual when hotel reservations in Mexico or in other parts of Latin America are involved, and neither are having bank accounts in the U.S. to receive such payments nor having an individual's name rather than the hotel or company name on the account.

To take the latter point, for example, my property is not incorporated as a business but is instead a privately owned property leased for operation as a hotel. Since it is not incorporated, Mexican tax law _prohibits_ the business name from being used on any accounts and _requires_ that the name of an individual -- a Mexican citizen (or perhaps at least resident) -- be used on all accounts and official financial paperwork. (The term for this is type of situation is "persona fisica.") Thus any such payments we have -- checks from agents, for example -- _must_ be made out to my wife, who is that persona fisica and the adminsitrator of the hotel.

You will also find if you check around on the forums -- it has come up repeatedly on the "Latin America" forum over at Fodor's, for example, since there is a lot of discussion there about Costa Rica, Guatemala, and places in South America, as well as Mexico, and people routinely point out that yes, it is a legitimate practice. It is frequently used with condo & villa rentals and when (as in this case) a special holiday period is involved, as risk to the property is greater for such high-value periods.

Finally, as you yourself pointed out, you know you're dealing with a respectable property here, as can be confirmed on TripAdvisor as well as other places (check Playa.Info, for example). So while this may properly arouse suspicions in some other circumstances with other properties, I think there is little need to be alarmed in this case. Just make sure, as with booking via any method, that this is the property you want and the arrangements you want before proceeding.

Steve

Mobile AL
Level Contributor
312 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: paying for your hotel via money wire???

Steve thanks for this information. I am booking a condo through a wire transfer and felf a little uncomfortable about it. I have received several emails from the owner and seen several units within the condo listed under the same person. It is very difficult to confirm legitimacy. Any advice would be welcome.