We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frist Mexico Trip

Burnaby
Level Contributor
55 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Frist Mexico Trip

Hi, I have heard Playa del Carmen is the nicest spot to stay at. We'll be going with another couple and are planning on booking an AI. There are so many to choose from, does anyone have any suggestions for sure things or things we should look out for. We are hoping to take a few day trips as well to Chichen Itza & Cozumel. Does renting a car and arranging a guide at Chicen Itza make more sense than taking a bus tour? Suggestions and recommendations would be most appreciated,

Cheers

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
415 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frist Mexico Trip

If your going to do Chitzen itza and Cozumel, likely easiest to find an AI close to Playa. I prefer the resorts south of Playa but then you are a bit farther away from Chitzen itza. I personally use public transportation (taxi, bus, collectivo). Heard too many horror stories about car rental rip offs and police extortion for money (sure some travellers have never had an issue). Didnt really find Cozumel that interesting unless you are a diver. More things to do on the mainland. We are going to Playa in October and definetly doing Chitzen itza (check out Yucatreks web site). Xcaret and Xel-ha are nice but pricey (see web sites). Good value is to take cab or Collectivo to Akumal Bay and snorkle with turtles and assorted fish.

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frist Mexico Trip

I second checking out Yucatreks...they make it easy and they use small vans so the group is small....hotels depend on what you want ie 5* or are you happy with a comfortable hotel that doesn't have all the extras and of course the price goes along with this...do you want all restaurants and bars air conditioned (many are not) or do you want the outdoor feel...swim up bars, swim out rooms???

so many choices, have fun and keep reading TA...it is all here

Jean

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Frist Mexico Trip

Hi there great choice the Riveria Maya you are going to love it,We have been there 6 times in the last 7 years here are my fav

Grand Palladium resorts(all)

Barcelo resorts(Tropical/colonial,palace)

Secrets resorts(adult only)

Iberostar resorts(lindo)

The Barcelo and Palladuim are south and have the most beautiful beaches,the other two are more north where there the beaches are ok but the water is rougher.

Great day trips Xel-Ha snorkling trip a must its all inclusive plus it includes the Tulum ruins.A couple of others is Mayan Adventure,Coba ruins,Zip line tour,Swimming with the Dolphins.

Have a great time !!

Burnaby
Level Contributor
55 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frist Mexico Trip

thanks everyone for your advice, we're really looking forward to it,

All the best

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
859 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frist Mexico Trip

I do recommend the day trip to Chichen Itza.

Here is my review...

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150808-d1534…

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Frist Mexico Trip

I recommend renting a car to go to Chichen. We've never had a problem with any of the scams--haven't been stopped by the police, and we know how to avoid the Pemex scams. If you have a car, you can get to Chichen before the crowds do, and you can stop anywhere along the way that looks interesting. A lot of folks stop at Valladolid for lunch. But we're the kind of people that don't like being in a "herd" on a bus, and we like to wing it on our own schedule--not someone else's.

Burnaby
Level Contributor
55 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frist Mexico Trip

Thanks, renting would be my preference, for the reasons you pointed out. Which company did you use and how long a day did it turn out to be? Is Coba an option on the way over?

Cheers,

Denis

8. Re: Frist Mexico Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 12:19
9. Re: Frist Mexico Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 06:15