We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

Hello all...my hubby and I stayed at the IB* Maya and LOVED it...looking to come back down but were thinking about booking the Valentin (similar prices!) but we dont want to be let down! Things we loved about the Maya...1. we had 5 other properties to roam around on so we never felt liek we were stuck in one place. 2. we LOVED the little "shopping area" with nightclub! (we are NOT big nighttime partyers but it was still neat to see!) 3. We LOVED the spa that we had access too with the indoor pool and saunas.

We really liked it there but are considering trying somethign a little different! we want good choices of food and drinks and a beautiful beach! We dont want any restrictions on which restaurants we can eat at or how often we can eat at the sit downs...and room service! Which will be our best bet?? Thanks!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

sUn, We have stayed at both properties...the Maya IB twice,and then the VIM last September. Once you stay at an adults only property you will possibly be as spoiled as we were. We are most likely returning to the VIM the last week of September 2010...for oh so many reasons.....No kids...no reservations...no need to wear long pants to the ala carte dining....two swim-up bars..lobster,crablegs,salmon, tuna, mussels, shrimp.......fresh cooked,premium liquors.....We travel quite abit and we really like the VIM.The Iberostar Maya is also very nice and it has its own special qualities as you already know...We are just spoiled with adults only properties.It all depends on your leanings. Craig and Lydia

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

I agree. When we are lucky enough to go away without the kids, we ONLY go ADULTS ONLY.....completely different vibe to the resort. We loved the VIM so much we are going back for our second time next weekend, and are bringing our friends along too!!!!!

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

Wow thank you both for the imput! We are REALLY leaning to the Valentin...drncm...do men really not have to wear long pants to dinner? That would be too good to be true! Is there a strict dress code for the restaurants? How was the food IYO? Did they have bars on the beach for beach cocktails or have pool-drink service? where can i find menus and other info that they give out at the resort?? (i checked their website and didnt get as much info as i wanted!) i will try and post something on here for someone to email me! But any other info you can give me would be fabulous!! You both are selling me on the Valentin! Cant tell you how much I appreciate it to know that we wont be let down!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

Hey sUn

We decided to book an adults only AI and after much research we chose VIM.

Someone in an earlier thread posted the menus and maps. Here is a link. Good luck trying to decide.

docs.google.com/leaf…

Florida
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

sUnpriNceSsMG,

Men DO have to wear long pants at a few of the restaurants for dinner. The French restaurant is one of them. People always try to get away with not doing so. Sometimes they might get away with it but then are pissed when they don't. Absolutely ridiculous as they know the rules. If they didn't, then they should have looked into them before booking. When we were there in May they were enforcing the dress code and turning people improperly dressed away. Here is their website. I have it on the restaurant page for you. Do a little bit of researching around. Don't just listen to what others tell you as they might be wrong. For instance, no pants required is definitely wrong unless you aren't interested in going to the dinner restaruants that require them.

http://valentinmaya.com/gastronomy.htm

Florida
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

You might also want to look into Catalonia Royal Tulum - ulimited food, ulimited drinks, gorgeous beach, free shuttle to playa, room service, etc. It is further south but several that have been to the VIM have posted that they like CRT better and it is cheaper.

Secrets Capri is also a good one to look into. I preferred it to the VIM but VIM was very good for the price we got.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

Love2,

I've seen CRT written up as better than VIM and not as good as VIM (sometimes significantly not as good as). I'm hoping it will be good but I'm not counting on it being as good as VIM since we are going there in September.

I'm a big fan of VIM and hope to become a fan of CRT as well. We have found a resort in Puerto Vallarta which is an AI which is not nearly as nice as VIM, but it is so inexpensive and is nice enough with a great atmosphere, that we have gone there a three times.

What I find is if you have realistic expectations, you generally will be happier with the resort you go to.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

goodspkr - I'm confused by your post to me. I never said everyone that has been to both preferred CRT. I said "several".

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

I am one who prefer CRT over VIM. There good and bad about both resorts.

I thing it all depends what are you looking for. I like more quiet resorts, and to compare with VIM, CRT was very relaxing(not that VIM wasn't). You cannot go wrong with either one. Goodspkr FYI right now CRT and VIM is priced the same out of New York. I hope you will like CRT like I did.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help us choose!! We need help!! VIM or IB* Maya?

My vote is for VIM, just amazing especially off season and off holiday times. Very relazing and great rooms can;t go wrong.