We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

EH5
Costa Mesa...
7 posts
Save Topic
Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

Other than Playacar being on the beach are there any major differences between the two?

Still deciding, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

Tequila is a little less formal, more family friendly (not that the Playacar isn't) and usually a bit cheaper than the Playacar or Yucatan. "They" say the food is better at the Tequila but that's kind of subjective. Tequila is larger with 664 rooms vs Playacar's 386. Tequila was fully renovated a couple years ago, Playacar is still waiting for their's.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

tequila is not on the beach-riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya, the yucatan and playacar are all beachfront- which for me is very important coming from the northern usa. we stayed at the riu palace mexico in dec 2009- but the fun was across the street at the tequila.

vancouver
Level Contributor
603 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

We have stayed at both and prefer the Tequila. The buffet was bigger and had more variety(probably because the resort is larger). The Playacar is also in need of renovations and we found the pools much nicer at the Tequila.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
807 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

The Riu Playacar is decorated is a caribbean theme,bright colors, lot of wood. The Riu Tequila is decorated in a colonial Mexico theme. There is less wood more wrought iron. The entertainment staff is rather lively at the Tequila.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

If you want smaller, quieter and on the beach then the Riu Playacar. If you want bigger, noisier, and not on the beach then the Riu Tequila. If you want the best of both then the Riu Yucatan - noisier and on the beach!

If it was just me and my husband then we would choose the Playacar for the nice relaxing place. If we took our teenagers then it would be the Tequila. It really depends on what you want.

EH5
Costa Mesa...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

Wow....Thanks you to everyone that replied....We went with the Playacar!

Cwmbran
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

Hi, stayed at the Riu tequila in June this year, spent some time at the Playacar & the Yucatan, I have booked the Tequila for 2011, do I need to say more. Any questions please feel free.

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

have stayed at the playacar and visited the tequila. while the tequila was redone last year i would still choose the playacar or yucatan. when i book a vacation on the beautiful mexican coast, the aqua blue waters and white sand beach is the attraction. to stay at a resort where you cant see these doesnt make much sense.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

You will love your stay at Playacar, EH5. It is small quaint resort on the beach, quiet and laid back, a perfect vacation destination. You can also visit the other Riu's, but not the palaces so there will be plenty of things to do between the three resorts. Be sure to walk south (turn right at the beach) on the deserted beach past Sandos, absolutely gorgeous beach with some ruins next to the jungle. I would definitely go back there if they had oceanfront rooms (I gotta have my views!).

Here are some of our photos from our visit during Thanksgiving 2009.

…google.com/lh/…

EH5
Costa Mesa...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Tequila

Thanks Elletek!