We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help in planning

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Need help in planning

I am planning a week for 6 women going to Mexico winter 2010.

Our wish is to visit the ruins, walk the beaches, enjoy good food and good wine ( absolute necessity to have a decent wine), some entertainment and a swim up bar. Send me your comments.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,590 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help in planning

Welcome to the forum aderry.

Quite a few Ruins to visit, Tulum, Coba and Chichen Itza (1 of the new 7 wonders of the world). But, if your desire to walk the most beautiful beaches in the world you are coming to the right place. You won't believe how beautiful that water is, how soft and white the sand is, how friendly the Mexican people are. The wine is a challenge however. Look for Chilean and Argentinian wines for the best and most inexpensive options. In Playa del Carmen check out the Fusion Hotel every night on the beach and 6 calle Norte for live entertainment. Sit in one of those low slung wooden chairs with your toes in the sand and listen to the reggae, blues and my favorite salsa music. Fireshow about 10 PM and then stick around for more music. Zenzi's at 10 calle and the beach has Brazilian music. Bad Boys has a fantastic R&R Thursday and Saturday 5 til 9, get crazy. Lots more beach bars, and then all the street entertainment on the pedestrian only 5th avenue. You guys are going to have a great time. Playa is the City of Lights in the evening, great vibe.

Edited: 30 July 2010, 02:49
Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help in planning

Maybe consider going to one of the retail stores & choosing your own wine to bring to restaurants...maybe they will charge a cork fee...but at least you will have what u want.....there a few stores around Playa that have a good assortment of vinos

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help in planning

Hi there yes I would bring your own wine.I have been to 6 different resorts in that area and the wines they serve yuck!!!We did go to Secrets resort last fall and they do have a big selection of different ones but you have to pay for them and they are pricy.(at the italian resturant)

Another resort that may have some would be Iberostar Grand resort.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,590 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help in planning

Here are a number of places to shop for wine:

Off the Vine - Ave 1 and Calle 26 (wine shop as the name implies)

Winery and Plus - 2 outlets One on Calle 8 across from WalMart and one at Ave 10 and Calle 28

Covi - Ave Constituyentes at highway 307 has a decent selection.

Mega Comercial and WalMart - both on Ave 30 2 blocks apart have decent selections for big box stores with decent prices.

Di Vino's, Sur's, John Gray's and Byblos all have a fine selection of wines for restaurants. I have no idea where the big resorts get their wines, but they need a new importer.

5. Re: Need help in planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2011, 06:15