We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain/Tropical Storm

Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Topic
Rain/Tropical Storm

I am scheduled to go to PDC Aug 5-10 and the forecast shows rain most of the time. I have read on other posts that rain is usually for a short period and then the sun comes out. Would this be a special situation seeing as how there are tropical storms forming? Is there any chance the forecast will change to mostly sunny (*fingers crossed)?

Salem, Illinois
Level Contributor
122 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain/Tropical Storm

I had the same questions. It called for rain all the 5 days we were going to be there before we left. Beautiful the first day, it rained the 2nd day for a little bit in the moring, then beautiful sun the rest of the day. We did have one day of downpours, it let up for a couple hours, but the rest of the time it was beautiful. Unless they have a tropical storm come through you will get plenty of sun.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,400 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain/Tropical Storm

Is there any chance the forecast will change to mostly sunny (*fingers crossed)?

Nope

But there are no tropical storms in this area forecasted

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain/Tropical Storm

if you plan a trip during the rainy season it will probably rain

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,400 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain/Tropical Storm

Here is a good site to track storms

http://www.stormpulse.com/atlantic

Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain/Tropical Storm

The weather here in Playa the last 3 days has been terrific. The ocean is flat, a small breeze to keep you cool, and virtually no clouds. With the ocean flat the waters are very clear similar to Tulum.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain/Tropical Storm

http://www.xamanhainfo.com/webcam

Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain/Tropical Storm

Thank you everyone for your input. I am just wondering if it would be so much rain as to move my trip elsewhere because we were interested in activities such as snorkeling and dinner cruise.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain/Tropical Storm

There are no tropical storms forming that are going to affect the Yucatan Penninsula anytime in the near future. But you are travelling to an area that has a tropical climate--it is very hot & humid this time of year. The heat & humidity make pop-up storms possible at any time. They tend to be spotty, and quick. I don't know where you could go that doesn't have the possibility of rain this time of year--Aruba, maybe?? It's desert--no lush foliage, so it appears that it may not rain there much.

Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain/Tropical Storm

My other option would be Cabo San Lucas, a much pricier alternative.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain/Tropical Storm

Thing is there is rain and then there is tropical rain. Even a brief shower or storm can quickly flood the streets. But as others have said they predict it everyday and sometime it comes and sometimes it doesn't.

It is true that the further south of Cancun you go like Playa Del Carmen it can and does get more rain than Cancun itself.

Here is a video I took from our swim out room at Secrets a few weeks ago of one of those afternoon showers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IyVfcxMm4Y