We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in January/February

NJ
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Weather in January/February

Hi,

I was thinking of coming to playa del carmen for vacation in January/February, but I keep reading that it's too cold to go in the ocean/enjoy the beach? Can someone tell me what the weather is like? Our other option is to go to Aruba, but its so expensive to go in Jan/Feb.

Thanks for your help!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in January/February

I always visit mid-February. Days are hot and sunny, very little rain. Nights are warm (some have said they need a light sweater when near the ocean breezes). Pools are generally not heated therefore cool. The ocean is warm for water activities. (Last FEB. was a little cooler than normal as was much of the continent) but still plenty warm for vacation fun most days.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,170 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in January/February

Yes, water temps in Jan/Feb are cooler

See

cancunmap.com/weather/cancun-water-temperatu…

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in January/February

Hi we have always gone in jan or feb- this year we will try march. We have never found the ocean too cold to swim in (although the pool was chilly-didn't deter us though). Last year was cool most evenings but we live in an extemely cold climate ( we were the second coldest place on earth at one point last year!)so anything is better than what we have. Maybe that's why we didn't find the ocean too cold-hahah.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in January/February

We've been hitting the beach the end of January for 10 years now and only found cooler weather in Punta Cana and Mazatlan. We had great temps and spent a lot of time in the ocean snorkeling or whatever both times we were in Playa del Carmen. Absolute best weather as far as hot nights was in Ixtapa and Acapulco, but we only had light jackets on a couple of the evenings.

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in January/February

Starrynight- we have been to Cancun in Feb. several times and have always had great weather. However, if you remember last winter on the east coast( we live in upstate ny) they had one noreaster after another. Our flights out were backed up by 3 days so we decided to cancel and rebook rather than loose 3 days of vacation out of 7. Flying that time of year is a gamble but hopefully this coming winter does not repeat.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Level Contributor
759 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in January/February

We went to Secrets Maroma, last week of Feb / 1st week of Mar 2009 and it was very chilly. In the mornings it was in the 50's the sand was cold on your feet. Very windy so much so that we could not sit on the beach. The pools were cold and we did not really get to enjoy the ocean. When we asked some of the locals they said this was typical for that time of year. Don't know if we would go at that time of year again. Check some weather sites and look at average temps for that time of year maybe that will help you to decide.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in January/February

Funny, we went the exact time frame as the above post, but next door at the Catalonia, and the workers told us it was colder than usual, not the normal.

We still managed to get some afternoon hours in on the beach, between the rains.

I'm hesitating about going back again this Feb. Looking at the DR as it is a little further south. Can't afford Aruba, that's for sure.

Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in January/February

We've been in February a few times and while the temperature was mostly in the 80's, it felt just a little too cold in the water (ocean or pool) for us. Sometimes it was overcast and then I really felt chilly coming in and out of the water. The one exception was the beach at the Tulum ruins, maybe because it was HOT at the ruins!

I would still return in February, however.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in January/February

We have travelled to Mexico in June, Sept, Nov, Jan and April. January was cold - we had about 3 sunny hot days during that week. Goldnem - when we went to Tulum ruins we wore our jeans, hoodies, socks and running shoes. I heard how hot it got there and was sooooo looking forward to a hot beach day. Didn't work out so well for us.

Yes - I found the pools cold too - only went in once. Also it gets dark by 5:00 - 5:30.

My favourite times of the year are November and April.

Edited: 12 August 2010, 21:03
Toronto
Level Contributor
385 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in January/February

I agree with the above poster. I think the best times to travel there are April and Nov - keep in mind the days are shorter in Nov.

This year we are going next week, we don't mind the heat at all so we shold be fine.

A friend of mine was in the Riviera for New Years last year and she said it was chilly, had to wear hoodies at night.