We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
554 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

Hola,

Since it's storming here, I'm doing our group vacation research for Feb 2011. 2 - 4 couples, ages 39 - 60.

We love Punta Cana, DR for its beach - great for walking on forever in bare feet and once in the water, it's all sand. This year I want to go to the Riveria Maya (for the first time).

We love - AI's, a great beach for swimming/walking, big pools, lots of bars/restaurants, nightly entertainment, and international brand drinks would be a plus. The guys like to explore, so a big resort complex would be great too...otherwise, if a trip to PDC isn't too far away, they could explore that as well?

In searching affordable vacation packages, the first few stand out:

Riu Yucatan

Barcelo C&T

Catalonia Royal Tulum (adults only, never done that before)

There are other resorts...but, I can only do so much research at a time before getting a headache.

Between the Riu's and Barcelo's - which beach is better?

CRT gets great reviews, we are a group that loves our cocktails and meeting new people from different places, will it be too quiet?

I'm sorry if these questions are too redundant, but I am completely overwhelmed and need your help.

Gracias,

Kristi

Dexter, MO
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

I've never been to the Rius, but we've been to the Barcelona twice. It has a wonderful, long beach and very nice, large pools. Rooms are nice and big. Food is very good for AI.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

Riu's are located on nice long beach, no rocks. Unlike Punta Cana, Playa is a great town to visit for eating, shopping and drinking. You can walk into Playa from the Riu's.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

i know that you were looking at the RIU Yucatan but I like the RIU palaces better. They are a little more upscale, have nicer rooms, have international liquor, and you can visit all the other RIU's.....even the RIU Palace in Cancun. They do not have great nightlife but you can always go into Playa and there are many bars with bands....really a fun town! Cant speak of the other resorts you mentioned because I have not been to them. Have fun researching!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
421 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

Yes, quite the storm that went through this a.m.! Had many trees down!

We went to CRT last Oct - it was one of our best vacations! We liked that it was a laid back atmosphere and the smaller size actually helped in getting to know other couples. We struck up a friendship with a couple from Canada that we are still in touch with! When we went, there was a great mix of nationalities - German, French, Spanish, Australian, American, and Canadian. The animation team does a very nice job of getting people to interact.

The beach is BEYOND words - we love to walk in the mornings, and found you could go about 45 min. in each direction. The snorkling right off the beach was a bonus as well.

The resort provides free shuttle service to PDC twice a day. Also talked to a couple who took the collective all over the place - easy to access right in front of the resort.

We rented a car and drove down to Akumal and Tulum exploring for 2 days - loved that as well. Also, Tacho right down the beach was very affordable for fishing.

Happy planning!

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

I have been to Riu, Barcelo and CRT. Don't care much for Riu, Barcelo was nice, but the best place from those 3 would be CRT. Like SandyToesMinnesota said amazing beach, you meet nice people from different countries, adults only is a big plus, no reservation at restaurants, exceptional service, good drinks and food, and very good price, what else can you ask for. It is very laid back and quiet, but that how I like it.

Edited: 13 August 2010, 18:06
Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
554 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

Thanks so much for the replys!!

Oh, no trees down here, thank goodness....did have to do some dammage control in the garden just now.

I think I read that the beach is really nice in front of the Barclo complex, but gets rocky towards the Barcelo Palace?

So, you can walk to PDC from the Riu's and they have a nice beach too (swimmable sandy ocean hopefully)? That's a HUGE plus! As far as the Riu Palace goes, is that the only one with international brands? It looks to be just out of our reach price wise but, I'll keep my eye on it.

The free shuttle from CRT (nice!) how long a ride and to/from airport? Snorkeling too, would we need water shoes to walk in the ocean from the resort or can you see right to the bottom where the sandy parts are? As far as not being as large a complex, the smaller resort helped for getting to know others better would be nice too.

We've always wanted to try a Riu resort - large complex, nice beach, international brands, walk into PDC and a closer shuttle ride from the airport is a bonus, but CRT is right there with the awesome beach, no reservations restaurants (bonus), exceptional service and adults only too.

Thanks so much...lots to think about!

Kristi

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

Ride from the airport is about one hour and fifteen minutes. Also my understanding is that as of Oct., the free shuttle is being discoutinued.

Edited: 13 August 2010, 18:19
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,263 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

Love Catalonia Royal Tulum (been twice) and as 'SandyToes' mention the BEST BEACH... location is a little remote but adults-only is a big plus! The Riu Palace Riviera Maya is also nice (nicer and more expensive, I still prefer CRT) and Riu's are walking distance into town RPRM is the closest 15-20min walk.

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
554 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

The free shuttle, not being free - bummer. Will talk to the hubby tonight. It's getting to be that time to book!

Thanks!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu, Barcelo, CRT?? Help, I'm overwhelmed!

have been to the Barcelo 3 times and loved everyone. I love to snorkel and get a good fill of it right there. There are rocky areas but you can find lots of areas to get in at.

Cant comment on the RUI's as I have not been there.

I am considering the CRT this year all depends on pricing.

I have my eye on a resort that is on an island in the DR and if price is right will be trying it. Other wise Barcelo is my fall back on choice.

for all your information on the Barcelo check out www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com