We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

Okay. I am thinking of branching out and doing non-AI. I am looking at renting a condo on the beach in Playa near 5th Ave and then doing all the meals in restaurants.

Our first trip was AI, so we only experiences one meal outside of the resort- I do not remember the prices. It was in Akumal and I think I remember being surprised that it was kinda spendy.

How much should we be expected to spend for 2 people, 3 meals a day, for one week? We will probably only do one "nice" meal, the rest can be small "mom n pop" restaurants. (We would probably eat breakfast, small lunch-maybe just a snack, then dinner).

Your help is very much appreciated.

playa del carmen
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

There are so many choices and I'm sure that others will provide the names of many preferred restaurants.WE have about 650 establishments here.

Not including alcohol, you need not to spend more than 400 pesos a day per person on average (about $35 USD)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

Many restaurants have BRKST for around $4-$6 for your standard egg, bacon, toast, etc. Lunch can be $2 tacos to $5-$6 again for full plates. Dinners a little higher depending on your dining level. We usually spend in the $8-$10 range for good stuff from places like Carbonocitos, El Fogon, La Pesca, etc. Then there are places to have your special night, many on or near 5th. If you have a condo you can pick up lunch fixings at the store and use paper plates. I get the idea is NO DISHES, COOKING :).

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

Even some of the lunch places like Playa Maya, on the beach , toes in the sand, may be within your budget. I have a bill in front of me for 3 people. 1 coconut shrimp (simply the best), 1 BLT, 1 hamburger, 1 pina colada 2 beers and 1 bottle of water. 445 pesos or about $35 usd. I probably left a $7 tip so $42 for 3 or $14 each. Pina Coladas are 70 pesos (a little spendy IMO), beer is only 30 pesos. But what a wonderful lunch under the palapas looking at that beautiful sea. The Fusion Hotel has similar type prices. At La Tarraya on the beach a fish entree is about $11, but it's huge so sharing is a must. El Pirata is another inexpensive beach bar with grill, cheap margaritas and beers for the setting. Bring one of those collapsible coolers down to the beach with your beer and margarita mixes for the daytime.

100% Natural is a great inexpensive place for breakfast, best hot cakes in Playa. El Bistro next to Hotel La Tortuga has one of the best breakfasts $6 bucks a person. La Cueva del Chango will be another destination for breakfast lunch or dinner. Breakfast from the food carts around the seaside park, look for the beautiful little white church, at 5th ave and Juarez is a must.

Babes Noodle Bar, some of the best appetizers in Playa, order 1 entree and share, huge portions. La Kalaka may be the best value in Playa for dinner, gourmet food at very inexpensive prices. Had a bottle of Pinot Grigio that was only $20 a bottle. Several Italian restaurants like Era Ora, La Pummerola and Piola's where a great pasta dish is about 70 pesos, about $5. Order several appetizers at Sur's and enjoy the beautiful atmosphere without breaking the bank. Di Vinos cost me about $1,400 pesos for two, but that is fine dining, tons of ambiance and includes appetizers, main entrees of Beef Tenderloin and Duck Magret, wine and after dinner drinks, that's about $115. You will find places like Zenzi's on the beach will have their bbq night, PG's Sandbox also has a nice menu of inexpensive food and great ambiance. Everybody finds there way to Carboncitos for good cheap eats. Now if you venture west to 30th avenue you will find some real great values, El Fogon, La Pesca, HC Monterray. Almost all the restaurants will post their menu's outside with prices in Spanish and English.

I agree with playachris's assessment on cost, but if you stick with cerveza and stay away from the mojitos, pina coladas and margaritas, you can really keep the prices down.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

You can always keep snacks and drinks in your condo. Have a drink before you go out. Go off 5th Ave for breakfasts and lunches. 5th Ave is more spendy.

Check your pms.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

Oh great, Candylady is going to tell you all her special places for meals and keep me in the dark :-) With over 600 restaurants in Playa, there must be some real good ones I haven't been to.

You are holding out on me Candylady.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

Thanks everyone! SO helpful! I found a great condo for a lot less than I was anticipating. Now to only nail down a good deal on a flight (that's the hardest part being in Idaho).

Thanks again!

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

last 2 trips avg $100 a day for 2 people drinks and food.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

OT3, haaaa.. We both know the best places to eat! :-)

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

Just kidding Candylady :-)

They keep opening up new ones, especially north of Constituyentes Ave, and some of the new ones are very good.

It was a bummer to hear the Garden of Eating closed their restaurant, great little place for breakfast.

10. Re: How much for 1 weeks worth of dinners out in Playa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 06:17