We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado Royale - Beach really that bad??

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
El Dorado Royale - Beach really that bad??

My husband and I just booked a 5 night stay at the El Dorado Royale. We had initially chosen Secrets Maroma, but when we went to book the price had gone up 800 dollars, so we changed our mind. I'm concerned about the beach at EDR. Is it even swimable? I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance. Thanks!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado Royale - Beach really that bad??

Since I've been to both, I can tell you Maroma beach is one of the best I've been to in all our travels. We stayed next door at the Catalonia this Feb.

Haven't been to the El Dorado in 6 years, but when we were there, the water was clear, and indeed swimable. What I didn't like was the huge "whale" sand bags in the water. Really distracted from the beauty of the beach.

Not sure if they are even still there since the beach restorations, maybe someone else can be of help with that.

But for an $800 difference for just 5 nights, even if the sand bags are still there, I'd go for the El Dorado.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado Royale - Beach really that bad??

We were there in April and yes the whales are still there. They did not bother us and we snorkeled around them a couple of times (lots of fish to see). The water is that beautiful aqua color and clear. The sand is not fine like Akumal or Tulum ruins beaches but I did not wear swim shoes like I did when we were at the Gran Bahia. There are numerous palapa's and beach beds to read your book and snooze the day away.

The resort has plenty of pools and the beach was not a deal breaker for us. The service, food, staff, drinks, spa and relaxation we experienced were tops. I would go again.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado Royale - Beach really that bad??

Thanks so much! After reading this, as well as some other comments people have posted elsewhere, I am not so worried about the beach. I think we will have a wonderful time! Thanks again!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado Royale - Beach really that bad??

Thank you! I appreciate your response. I think we'll have a great time, whales or not!

5. Re: El Dorado Royale - Beach really that bad??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 06:17