We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family with teens

New Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Family with teens

Five families with mostly teens, looking for a solid All inclusive with top facilities, activities and food. Children will be graduating from 8th grade, and this multi-family trip is their gift/celebration. Please give me your recommendations. Thanks!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,561 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family with teens

I have seen a few similar posts

Have you looked at the 'Top Questions ' sections which gives you this info

New Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family with teens

Thanks for your response..........but I did check and most of responses are for younger children/kids club. I want a resort which will keep 14 year olds busy with beach activities and a place to dance at night.....

Boston
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family with teens

The Iberostar resorts would be perfect for you. My personal preference is the Tucan which is a $5.00 cab ride to 5th Avenue but for your trip I would suggest the Iberostar Lindo/Maya. The Star Friends will keep the teens occupied with volleyball, bocci, soccer, archery, pool games, etc for the entire time that you are in Mexico. I think that you would be very happy there.

I have stayed at all the above that I mentioned and will be more than happy to answer any questions that you have.

Kate :)

chicago
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family with teens

I agree with Kate--Iberostar has the most energetic and upbeat staff of any resort I've been to, and their evening shows are silly and use a lot of audience participation--way more entertaining for teens than the cultural dance shows at a lot of resorts. They also had a lot going on each day, like pottery painting and posing for photos with various animals.

The food in the buffet is just okay, but there's a wide variety and lots that will be familiar, which will help with a large group that age.

The resort itself is very nice and well-maintained, with a great beach.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family with teens

Thanks Ladies,

We have actually stayed at Iberostars before( Lindo, Bavaro )but our children were much smaller, so I don't remember what was offered for the 'teenage' generation....Thanks and I will start looking into your suggestions. cld

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family with teens

hi there i agree the Iberostar resorts are great for kids.But the Lindo was great i thought.

Another couple of ones to look at are the Barcelo resorts(tropical/colonial/or Palace)resorts

and Grand Palladium resort both are fantasic they are more south than the Iberostar but the beaches are fantasic the water is calmer so there is alot of water sports for the kids.The kids can snorkel right off the resorts too.The Palladium has tons of wildlife all over the resort and is very tropical.

Hope you find what you are looking for any of these are great choices.

If you want to se live shots of the Palladium go to Palladium addict.com and they have 5 web cams around the resort.

Toronto
Level Contributor
94 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family with teens

We've been to both the Mayan Riviera and Dominican Republic with our teenage kids, but when doing research I was unable to find a resort with a "Club" or activities geared specifically to teens. I've only ever seen this on cruise ships. I guess the hotels figure teens can simply join in with the adults. After all, anyone can play beach volleyball or soccer. Just make sure the activity doesn't involves drinking! But most Animation staff welcome young adults and if there is enough demand, can organize teen-only activities. The problem is the evening, which offers little for teens. The audience participation shows can be a little "blue" with sexually suggestive games and skits (which my kids found hilarious, to my chagrin). But the disco doesn't open until 11PM and requires an adult wrist band. See if you can find a hotel that offers a teen disco before 11PM. I think some of the multi-hotel complexes, like Gran Bahia Principe and Barcelo might have this.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family with teens

Take a look at the Dreams properties - there are several in the Mayan and Cancun.

We stayed at Dreams in Punta Cana and they did have a teen zone - a place for teens to go and hang out with video games, ping pong tables, rockwall climbing, mechanical bull, etc.......I have a feeling that all the Dreams properties would have this type of setup.

Tolland, CT
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Family with teens

I believe the Grand Palladium would be your best bet, they have a teen night club and sports bar to keep the 14 year olds amused, plus game rooms etc. I do not believe it is the nicest resort out there, we like Bahia and Barcelo more, for different reasons but Grand Palladium ranks way up there for activities for teens. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, but have had better rooms and food at different places, was not bad, just had better. I think every resort has its pros and cons and check out GP!!!

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family with teens

Another point to consider is the accommodation. There is a type of rooms at the Grand Palladium that might be very convenient for your party - suites at the Riviera or White Sands parts of the resort have two separate rooms with two bathrooms and balconies, White Sands parts is may be better as it is located more central to everything.

Do they like to snorkel? There are some good snorkeling areas right off the resort's beach at the GP, with lots of fish to see. The resort is fairly large, secluded, with all types activities/facilities for the teens and their parents. It is further away from the airport then most of the Riviera Maya resorts - about 1.5 hours drive, I would suggest to get the private transfer if you go, at the entertainment-plus web-site you can book an aircond. minivan and it will be cheaper pp then any transfer offered by the travel agencies.