We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Mayan, Tips and costs of travel to Cancun and Playa

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cottonwood...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Grand Mayan, Tips and costs of travel to Cancun and Playa

My family of 6, possible more, are traveling in March to the Grand MAyan for a week. My concern is the distance to Playa and Cancun , and the costs of taxi, ADO, ect. We do not really want to rent a car. Anyone have costs of transportation,and resort tips for the Grand MAyan?

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Mayan, Tips and costs of travel to Cancun and Playa

They have a shuttle for $4.00 per person each way to Playa. It was full each of the two times we tried to make a reservation on it. Plus the set times can be inconvenient. I think taxis run to Playa for about $25.00 each way. We also never used those. Cheapest option is to walk the (easy) 3/4 mile out to the highway and catch a colectivo or the Mayab bus. Cost should be about $2.00 per person each way. Just wait across the highway (cross carefully) and someone will pick you up. If you have a larger group you may not all get on the same vehicle. Have a meeting place in mind ahead of time in case you have to split up at the last minute. (We have stayed at the Mayan Palace five or six times, often with a family group of 12 and have had to split up more often than not). We've only gone through Cancun to go to Isla Mujeres twice. Once we took a taxi to the Puerto Juarez ferry for $80.00 for 8 people. The other time we took the colectivo to the Cancun bus station area and then a taxi to the ferry station. Colectivo to Cancun was around $3.00 per person each way. (May cost more now.) We've never rented a car.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Mayan, Tips and costs of travel to Cancun and Playa

Just reading another post you have about "cheap" I would hate to be traveling with you. Buck up laddie and break out your wallet.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
64 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Mayan, Tips and costs of travel to Cancun and Playa

I would go ahead and rent a car in Cancun. By the time you and the family pay for the shuttles, or walk that mile to the main road to catch a bus, I think it's just easier to rent the car. Otherwise, you end up eating at the resort more than you'd like, or buying expensive food in their store instead of going to the Walmart in town. You can rent a car for $ 150.00 a week. Parking in Playa is not bad. We almost always got a space on the street at the north end of 5th Aveune, I think it was at about Constitution and 5th. Going back with family in May. Yea.

T

4. Re: Grand Mayan, Tips and costs of travel to Cancun and Playa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 07:49