We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is spring break in America

West Midlands
Level Contributor
157 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
When is spring break in America

We are booked the Tucan for 2 weeks starting April 26th 2011 im now worried as i think this may clash with Americas spring break. I have heard the resorts get very rowdy during this time and we are looking for a relaxing fairly quite holiday (2 sisters in their mid 40's and a young teenager).

Can anyone give me the dates for spring break? and id my assumption right will it get really noisey at the Tucan?

Thanks in advance

bushbaby41

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is spring break in America

The date varies for different colleges and universities. Typically it's in March to early April. You will be safe by the 26th as even Easter break should be over by then :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is spring break in America

Spring Break....well, there are really no set dates in US for spring break. Some schools coordinate it the Easter Holiday - which is very late this year. Many universities start spring break at the end of February - March. However the elementary schools (at least here where I live) break the last week of March.

I think you will get many answers....but I think since many public schools do not coordinate with Easter, you might be at the very tail end of prime season.

Don't rates usually start to drop in May?

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is spring break in America

here on Long Island (near NYC) my kids go back to school on the 26th. Our public school spring break fluctuates depending on when easter and passover fall. Sometimes, they get 2 breaks!

when I was in college (NY state school), I always had off around St.Patrick's day in March.

I would say spring breaks start in mid march and go through mid to late April depending on when Easter falls. It really is regional.

So you are safe! Have a great trip.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
157 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is spring break in America

Thank you all, panic over it sounds like we may just be ok - its not that i don't like to see younger people than me enjoying themselves, i just don't think i can stand the noise (i am definitely getting old)! :-)

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is spring break in America

The public schools (elementary through high school) in Md are usually off the Thur. & Fri. before Easter & the Mon. immediately after so that would mean they will have off from 21st to the 25th of April (Easter is on the 24th next year) so you should be fine.

We were there the last week in April in 09' & there were a few kids but nothing compared to Spring Break. This year was a different story because Easter was so early (April 4h) boy oh boy was Playa crowded & the beaches were jammed packed but we still had a blast. hth

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is spring break in America

I can't imagine any US schools are still on spring break the end of April....

have a wonderful time!

Wayzata
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is spring break in America

College students have off time usually March into early April.Many RMresorts do not allow unescroted college students.

Easter time is a very busy time for families.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When is spring break in America

College breaks are usually a week before Easter and high school breaks are usually the week after Easter. I Canada the breaks vary according to province but follow the before or after pattern.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When is spring break in America

bushbaby, the bigger problem with springbreakers is in Cancun. We should all encourage them to go to Cancun, and leave Play to the adults.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When is spring break in America

The problem is not just in Cancun - we got married in March in Playa 4 years ago at the Riu Palace and it was lovely apart from the Springbreakers. And this is not your typical Springbreak resort. On several occassions we had to call security as they were outside our room in the pool or Jacuzzi at 3 or 4 am shouting etc. They also threw several groups of them out who were misbehaving during our stay.

We had a lovely time but always said we would never return in March/April for this reason. We did not know about springbreak as we do not get this in the UK.