We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

Cottonwood...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

We are using a friends RCI timeshare for Grand Mayan in March. The room sleeps 8. The hotel advertises rollaways, but the paper work I recieved through RCI states a max of 8 people, we were planning 10 with a rollway. I know they put wrist bands on, any thoughts on possible loopholes with this system????? I invited another family before I realized it was a max of 8 in the room. HELP!!!!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

I think you'll have to find another room. if you check in for the one room they wont give 10 wristbands. If you have a second room, you can spread out the people.

Cottonwood...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

We are still looking to TA for creative alternatives????

playa del carmen
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

10 in one room?? have fun...:) Hope its a 4 bath room..

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

If you get caught (and you more than likely will), you could get thrown out. You might as well find another room now--it'll be a pain in the butt for 10 of you to go around looking for somewhere else to stay.

Edited: 26 August 2010, 02:19
Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

I don't think overloading the room is very nice especially since you are using a friends time share. Suck it up and get another

room. Does the time share owner know what you are planning?

I think you would definitely get caught and rather than be embarrassed I'd plan ahead.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

Let me preface the following comment by saying that I did read your OP and do realize that you did not initially set out to create this situation or trick the property in question or whatever. Just so that's clear.

Now my comment is that it's really not cool to knowingly proceed with a plan that goes against the specific written terms of the agreement you make with a property as a guest at that property, whether it's having 10 in a unit that is supposed to have a maximum of 8, or trying to claim that a child of 14 is really 11 in order to avoid paying additional guest charges, or arriving on site with a child if no children are allowed at the property in question, or other such things of this nature.

So I for one don't know what sort of "creative alternatives" could be out there for you. Again, even if you didn't mean to, you booked a unit with a limit of 8 guests and you have 10, and this is not for example because the property changed it's rules on your after you booked but before you arrived, or because they didn't disclose that info to you properly, or whatever, but just because you weren't sufficiently careful in reviewing what you were booking. Thus I think you clearly need to change the booking, either for an even bigger unit (if one exists) or for an additional unit of some sort.

FWIW.

Steve

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

stop being a cheap @*%$ ...get another room !!!!

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

No way in being sneaky or clever here, you just need to do the right thing that's all. Would you want someone to do this sort of thing to you if the rolls were reversed? I didn't think so. Just explain the situation, you may be surprised @ w/ the outcome. Good luck & have a great time.

Edited: 26 August 2010, 02:37
St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,710 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

You're Doomed

texas
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this considered "Illegal" ? or just plain sneaky?

I'm sure you don't want to do this but you may just have to suck it up and tell the other family they can't go. Or tell them they will have to pay for a seperate room.