We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin Imperial Maya to Tulum

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Valentin Imperial Maya to Tulum

Does anyone know if there is a bus stop outside of the Valentin? Looking for the cheapest way to get to Tulum and back for a half day. I know the resort has a car rental service, so maybe that is cheaper than paying a cab. Does anyone have some advice?

We do not like organized tours so we would rather do something on our own...

Appreciate your advice. Thanks!!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya to Tulum

I don't think there's a bus stop on the highway outside the Valentin but you could probably flag down a collectivo. (Of course, crossing the highway will to be on the southbound side of the road will be a whole other adventure!).

You also need to be aware that the actual resort itself is located a fair distance away from the main road. You could probably get a bellboy to give you a ride out to the main gate but you may have to wait for someone to be available to do that.

I'm thinking that a good compromise between expense and convenience would be to take a taxi to Playa del Carmen and then get the bus to Tulum there.

If you decide to rent a car, please do some research on these boards as there are some "scams" perpetrated by rental car companies, gas stations and even the local constabulary which target tourists in rental cars. I don't mean to scare you off renting a vehicle - plenty of people do it without any incident whatsoever. I just figure if you know what these scams are, it's going to be easier to spot them and avoid being a victim.

Personally, I'd probably just take a taxi to Tulum and be done with it. That wouldn't be the most economical option but it would be very convenient and taxi fares are relatively cheap. Remember to take your bathing suits and towels with you and spend some time on the beach at Tulum - it's fabulous!

If you wanted to see more than just Tulum, you could even rent a taxi or private transfer for the entire day. You could either tell the driver where you want to go or leave it up to them to show you the "best" sights (get them to take you to a cenote). Again, that wouldn't be the most cost-effective way to go but it sure would be an easy, convenient one.

Another option would be a small tour company, such as Yucatreks. I know you said you don't like organized tours but these are limited to about 10 people and are much more "intimate" that your traditional big bus cattle drive. Mitch is GREAT and I highly recommend him.

HTH

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya to Tulum

HTH -- Thanks so much.

Actually the yucatreks actually seems like a good match for us. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya to Tulum

When we were at the VIM last year we went through Edventures for a Tulum tour. There were 6 of us total. It was great. Just google them-they have a website..they are also listed on TA.

Have fun!

4. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya to Tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 06:16