We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Stinky" Beach at RPDC

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
"Stinky" Beach at RPDC

I've been reading some reviews and a few mention somewhat of a sulphur smell than can be noticed at the beach at RPDC.

Is it a strong smell?

Does it last all the time or just depend on the wind?

Can you smell it while dining at Pelicanos?

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Stinky" Beach at RPDC

I'm curious if the time of year has something to do with it. I didn't notice anything like that in Feb, but that was sooooo long ago.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Stinky" Beach at RPDC

Perhaps someone somewhere sometime struck a match...it produces an odor. So does the backup diesel power source in the vault under the lobby driveway that is periodically tested. No biggey!

Much better than frijoles and cervesa banquets...?

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Stinky" Beach at RPDC

Usually, a sulfur smell is from sargasso decomposing. While it may not be pleasant, it doesn't mean that there's anything gross nearby.

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
317 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Stinky" Beach at RPDC

We have stayed at the Royal 4 times in the months of November, January, and February and we have never noticed any smells on the beach.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
470 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Stinky" Beach at RPDC

When I was at Mahekal, I only noticed it a couple times. I also noticed that a guy would walk the beach, digging a shallow trench where he raked and buried the seaweed. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Stinky" Beach at RPDC

At the Royal they do not bury the seaweed...I have never seen them do this. They rake it into piles, Wheel it away and then haul it via truck.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,465 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Stinky" Beach at RPDC

I noticed it at the Mahekal beach as well when we were there this May.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Stinky" Beach at RPDC

We where at the Royal PDC from Aug. 1 to 9. I had read reviews about the smell and yes it is true. My son was bothered by it at first, the smell is not always strongly present, depends on the wind. You can smell it when you are closer to the ocean, never smelled it at Pellicanos.

It was not a big deal, but there is definetaly a smell.

Alex

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
380 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Stinky" Beach at RPDC

We were at the Royal in Oct. 07' and July 10', and both times we did notice the smell on the beach and in the ocean. In 07' we did notice bubbling water in the ocean the first day along with a bad smell so we decided not to go in the ocean there, we thought it was just a fluke, but in 10' we only could smell something bad...We did really enjoy the food at the resort and the rooms which is why we went 2X, but after the 2nd visit, and the smell still there, we have decided we will not return anytime soon as we are beach and ocean people and we just could not enjoy if because of the smell.

Timmins, ON
Level Contributor
349 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Stinky" Beach at RPDC

Is there a mangrove nearby because a sulfur smell is very characteristic of a mangrove.