We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of changing resorts

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of changing resorts

So we are booked over the US thanksgiving in November at grand sunset princess. We are a family of three ( 6 yr old) and will be traveling with another couple in their early 50's. Our plans are not too complex... Hang at the hotel, take ferry to cox one day, and the guys want to golf. And if course we want to head into playa at least once.

So, we can get Grand Porto or riu for the same price. I like that they are closer to Pdc and have better reviews than GSP. However, I like the set up of gsp and I do take reviews with a grain of salt as they are pretty personal. Anyone been to all three, or have any reason why I should change? The prices are great!

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of changing resorts

Well I have not stayed @ GSP or any of the Riu's but the GPR is not just close to Playa it's only a block away (walking) from 5th Ave. GPR is a really nice family resort, we visited it while we were staying @ the sister property, The Royal, this past April.

Bookit.com is running a nice sale this weekend @ GPR starting at $79pp in a basic suite & kids 12 & under are free. Not sure how much you are paying & or your booking situation in terms of canceling but if it were me I would switch to the GPR, I think the GSP is just to big, especially if you have little ones & not to mention the convenience of being right in Playa if you switch to GPR-no cab fare either but that just my dos centavos worth.

Kate from Boston is there right now & she is or was reporting live, not sure when she is leaving but if have any specific questions perhaps she can fill you in. hth & have a wonderful time where ever you stay.

from.bookit.com/hotel_results.php…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k39024…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of changing resorts

Thanks Hail.....

Katefromboston is one of the reasons why I had searched for pricing. And since I previously booked the Grand Sunset on bookit.com, I can switch resorts for just $20. GPR is $10 less per night than what we are paying now for GSP. Thanks for your point of view.....so much to think about!

My brain is in overdrive. Thanks again!

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of changing resorts

That's great Tanya, I didn't realize you went w/ Bookit, they are a very good company & I will bet you if you find the GPR cheaper anywhere else on-line, Bookit will do a price match as well. I really don't think anyone else will have it cheaper though, I have been looking ever since we returned from RPDC back in April, I really want to take our son back before he turns 13 (which is this Nov.) & we want to book a Gran Master Suite @ GPR so my husband & I can have full privileges at the Royal.

Kate seems to be having a wonderful time. I hope she finds out who sent her the rose. I think the GSP has about 200 more rooms then the GPR & the resort is also spread out, so that means a lot of walking. I am not trying to make the GSP sound bad by any means but I just think the GPR would be a better fit w/ smaller children. The one thing that I really like about the GSP is that they have really nice pools & the platinum level w/ all of it's amenities, seems pretty nice. I was considering going there for sometime now but I really like the location of the Real resorts in Playa. We also had the opportunity to stay @ the Royal in Cancun last June & the Gran Caribe Real was also quite nice but to many kids for us, it was really busy at that time.

Anyway good luck w/ your decision & hope your brain recuperates quickly.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of changing resorts

I have stayed at the GPR and loved it!! One of the big bonuses for me is that it is in Playa. It was fun to be able to stroll into town in the morning....it is such a different experience than in the evening. The italian restaurant is awesome there. They also have a FUN beach bar. The only drawback is that the water out front is not as nice as other resorts. You can walk either way from the resort and it is awesome. I have also stayed at all but one of the RIU resorts. I am returning this Nov. to RPRM because it had everything that works for me....great beach...good food....big very nice rooms...excellent service and it is not a big mega resort. Also, if you stay at a RIU palace resort , you are allowed to visit, eat, and play at the other RIU resorts....including Cancun RIU's.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of changing resorts

We are off to GPR next weekend, but last November stayed at the Suset/Riviera Princess, which we loved.

However, we booked Platinum, with Oceanfront and the servce was outstanding at the Platinum lounges and the concierges were very helpful in booking reservations. The meals were all excellent and they had good liquors. No need for towel card and if you did not want to walk, wait for the shuttle.

Non-platinum was not as service focussed, from what we could see and chose to stay in the platinum areas for pool and beach.

Bottom line, both properties are really nice (and I can speak from experience after next weekend0 but we got a good price with Air Canada Vacations and they had a beachfront walkout room available with Royal privileges.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of changing resorts

If you want to be closer to Playa, GPR is the place for you. It's in a great location and just steps from great restaurants, bars and shops.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of changing resorts

Thanks everyone. I really like the looks and size of GPR, however I am bit leary that I might get bored with the few restaurants that they have. We are planning 9 nights, however I am sure a few meals will be in town. And the GPR deal has 50% off golf in Playacar. Hmmmmmmm

RIU Palace Riviera Maya is looking good too. More options for meals, kids activities..... Maybe I will leave it up to our friends - I will go crazy>

Boston
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of changing resorts

Hi! Here is my 2 cents. Switch! I love it here! I love that it isn't a huge resort and I don't have to walk 20 minutes to get from point A to point B. It has 280 rooms but it's cozy. :). The food is really good for an AI (IMHO) considering it is all subjective.

I love the location AND the staff can't seem to do enough for you. I have felt spoiled the entire time that I have been here.

I would say that you should book an upper level room (jr suite and better) because I really feel you get your $$ worth.

I am eating at Asiana's tonight. :)

Any particular questions that I can answer for you?

Ah, here comes my drink. BTW, I think I know who left the rose. :)

Edited: 04 September 2010, 19:31
Ontario
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of changing resorts

KATE! You know who left the rose??? WHOOO dun it??? You can't not tell us! LOL

( By the way, I love your "Live and lovin' it thread)

Boston
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of changing resorts

HA! Well, I am glad that you are enjoying my broadcast! I believe that it is the same individual who arranged for me to have wine and cheese delivered one night and champagne delivered the next. He was off yesterday so I wasnt able to ask him AND I didnt have any special treats yesterday so process of elimination.

Thank heaven for coffee! I have 2 words to describe how I feel this morning.........Coco Bongo.

Kate