We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at the Gran Porto Real

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Beach at the Gran Porto Real

I was just wondering from those who have gone recentley to the Gran Porto Real what the beach is like?...I have seen some photo's on here where it seems like there is a huge drop from the beach to the water.....,maybe the pictures are deceiving?

As well, being right on Playa beach.....is there many locals that can access the resort beach area?.....

Has anyone stayed in the basic rooms?...I see that the terrace is shared by many other joining rooms...did you find it private enough....safe enough?

Level Contributor
1,022 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at the Gran Porto Real

Hi there! I just returned from the GPR on 9/6/10. I posted a review that included some information on the beach if you would care to look at it.

There is a 1-2 foot drop off in order to enter the ocean. When I was there they had made a little walkway with gradual incline with a tractor of some sort.

I believe that the beach is public but with that said I never saw anyone not staying at the hotel around the palapa (or at least mine) section of the beach. I did see people running and walking in either direction.

I didn't stay in the basic rooms but I did ask to see what one was like. They are rather small and the ones that I saw by the third floor pool did not appear to have a terrace.

I hope that helps.

Kate :)

Edited: 18 September 2010, 02:32
plymouth, ma
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at the Gran Porto Real

We were there in August, and if you've read other tripadvisor reviews you'd see that the recommendation is to go either north or south for five minutes and you would have a nice swimmable beach. We ventured south towards the Cozumel ferry and had some great beach areas. Right in front of the Gran Porto is not that great of a beach. Walk the five minutes and you'll be fine. It was also nice to be able to walk up to one of the bars or restaraunts and have a beer and a snack or lunch away from the resort. The "dropoff" you are asking about is very minimal here,no more than afoot or so. We were in Cancun last February and there was an six to eight foot drop -off. You will enjoy the Gran Porto, a nice resort.

Level Contributor
204 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at the Gran Porto Real

just returned on sept 15th... the beach right beside the pier is very rocky when entering the water.. the beach 25 feet south of the pier has a big drop off by the man made break water.. further down the drop off is a lot less as you go south by the lunch buffet on the beach and the pool...

for a great beach just walk north about 50 yards to the beach in front of the royal.. the beach about 50 yards north of the pier is awesome....

The resort is wonderful... your gonna have a great time!!!

any more questions about the GPR just ask.. it's fresh in my memory!!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
745 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at the Gran Porto Real

I was reading the comments about the beach not being so nice. How is the pool area? Is it a nice pool? Is it hard finding chairs available around the pool?

If I'm staying at an all-inclusive hotel I'd like to be either at their pool or the beach right in front of the hotel.

Level Contributor
204 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at the Gran Porto Real

during the middle of the day and into the afternoon the pool chairs can get a little full.. but never where you can't get one... i hung out at my fav table and chairs in the circle bar overlooking the pool beach... plenty of chairs on the beach...

there's also a 3rd floor pool with swim up bar and sushi bar that always has chairs..

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at the Gran Porto Real

We stayed in the basic rooms last Feb. There were 6 adults and we don't spend much time in our rooms so didn't want to spend the money for the amenities. Our rooms were in front of the 3rd floor pool and Jacuzzi, we met some wonderful people out on the joint terrace. But people respected your privacy also.

All of us would return to exactly the same room in a heart beat. You really will enjoy yourself, but the basic rooms are just that. Always good to have realistic expectations.

7. Re: Beach at the Gran Porto Real

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 06:21