We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The royal playa del carmen or excellence riviera????

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
krt
Peterborough, ON
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Topic
The royal playa del carmen or excellence riviera????

Has anyone been to both or have any suggestions on which one to choose? We are beach people(husband loves to play in the sand) and great food is important. Thanks

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The royal playa del carmen or excellence riviera????

Well I can't speak for Excellence but the beach at the RPDC is really nice. Food is very subjective but we loved every meal, all of the restaurants were fantastic, even the room service food was very good, plus you have use of the sister resort (the Gran Porto Real) right next door, that adds for more dinning options as well. The Royal is about a block away from 5th Ave (walking) so you can venture off the resort when ever you like & that's a definite advantage. Hope this helps.

Edited: 29 September 2010, 22:01
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The royal playa del carmen or excellence riviera????

Hi there, we have been to both.

Food at both resorts is excellent.

Beach at RPDC is much better - much more bluer, clearer, etc.

At RPDC you can get oceanfront or even oceanview rooms (at a surcharge of course), but at Excellence, due to the layout of the resort, it isn't possible (or at least extremely difficult)

RPDC is right in town so that offers a nice option for a change of scenery.

More onsite nightlife at Excellence. I think due to the fact that RPDC is in town, most people leave the resort at night, so the nightlife is in town rather than on the hotel premises. (at least when we were there anyways)

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The royal playa del carmen or excellence riviera????

There is wireless internet in every suite at RPDC.

Gonzales, LA
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The royal playa del carmen or excellence riviera????

I have been to both as well. April 07 at ERC and July 10 at RPDC. We had a swim out room at ERC and enjoyed being by the lazy river. That was nice. I loved the activities at the ERC more. I loved the Chef Plate at RPDC. I think for the price it is a toss-up, but I would probably lean to RPDC.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The royal playa del carmen or excellence riviera????

Just to clarify a point - there ARE oceanfront rooms at ERC; I just stayed in one with a fab view. Of course, you pay more, just like at RPDC. I've also stayed at RPDC, 'tho that was a few years ago. However, I also stayed at a hotel on the beach in Playa a few weeks ago, and walked along in front of RPDC - and was surprised by the "lack" of beach - a very narrow strip of sand with loungers almost on top of each other and a yucky smell! (which I was told came from mangrove swamp water). You can walk 50 yds north and the beach is much better. Of course, at any resort on the coast the conditions can change depending on weather, tide, time of year etc.....

At ERC, the sand is nice, but the entry into the water is a wee bit pebbly and there is quite a bit of sea grass - which they attempt to clear each day. However, it isn't the clear, blue colour you get in Playa. Didn't bother me, I was still in the sea:):) I'm a beach/sea person too.

I would say the food at both is roughly the same - but depends on your personal tastes.....

Happy travels! Margaret

6. Re: The royal playa del carmen or excellence riviera????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2011, 05:17