We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

Montreal
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

Hi all, thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out with a few answers. I already searched the forums and either could not find answers or they are possibly outdated.

1) Is the beach at Royal PDC private for the resort or is it public? Since I would like the spend the majority of the day at the beach my concern is with crowds/security and also having families with kids would kind of nullify the whole adult only vibe.

2) Based on aerial pics of the resort it looks a little "closed in" since there are buildings all around without much of a jungle setting. When at the resort do you still feel like you have space to wander and for privacy? When you look around beyond the resort does it feel like an urban environment?

3) This question also is related to the size of the resort: I'm thinking of visiting during the Holiday/New Year time of year, assuming the resort will be full, will you always be elbow to elbow with people? Long lines at the bars? Wait time getting into "A La Cartes"?

4) I have read many advantages to being so close to town, any disadvantages?

5) Finally, what's the atmosphere like during the December/New Year's Season? (for anyone who has been during this time)

Thank you again for any input!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

As far as i know NO beach is private in Mexico.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

You are not in the Jungle & any where near it. But its beautiful. A few plam trees, lots of flowers. Yes. It can be busy but over xmas, so will most places. The beach can get busy.

If you like to walk to some bars, clubs, restaurants, shops, the ferry to Cozumel, wal-mart then this is the place. Once on resort it does feel quite private. Great service. Good luck. ITS.

Moncton
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

I will be brief. We were there last Feb.The resort was full. Lots of room and no problem getting into resturants. The beach is public. They have security to make sure no intruders come in. The beach at Royal is excellent.

The resort is not big, only 500 plus rooms so lots of room to roam.

Book it , it is great, and don't worry about kids, it's an adult resort.

Have Fun

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

One thing we did not like (& we love this place) is that kids are allowed in some of the restaurants like Asiana & Pelicanos as they are open to the street. The resort being adults only should not allow this but they do. Its a money grab. Hope they change that.

I would book it, in fact we did for our 5th visit. Cheers. ITS.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

inthesun, I'm wondering if perhaps they have changed that. When we were there last April (also our 5th visit) we saw them politely turn people with children away from Pelicanos on a couple of occasions at lunch time, and it was anything but busy in there at the time. Hopefully that's the policy now.

As for the beach being public, never a problem.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

In our opinion, if you like a happening party-type atmosphere that is adults only then this is the place for you, especially being in town. If you are looking for quiet romantic couple time, then you MIGHT want to consider elsewhere, at one of the resorts farther from town.

Yes, all beaches in the Mayan are public, but because RPDC is IN town, you get more locals on the beach than in some other more isolated areas, but we didn't find it bothersome.

Due to the layout of the resort with respect to pools and beach, not sure how much "privacy" you will be able to find unfortunately. The beach beds as well as loungers on the beach are lined up pretty close to one another, as by the pool also. Not at like at some other resorts where you can find little nooks for quiet and privacy around the pool.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

party atmosphere? If that's the case now, the RPDC sure has changed. I was last there in Apr 08 and one of the reasons I liked it because I did not perceive a party atmosphere. I would still go back there if I could afford it.

uk, manchester
Level Contributor
692 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

we returned 3 weeks ago. definite party type atmosphere during the day around main pool. very pleasant though, lots of fun and music abit noisy but def not rowdy. if you want complete peace and quiet you can move to quiet pool which is just that. evenings are very quiet as everyone heads into town.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

Love the location (so close to Starbucks!!!), but there's always the Iberostar Grand - but I cant afford either so I guess I dont have to make the choice.

I just got back from Catalonia Playa Maroma (it was the only one I could afford) for 10 days and the food was surprisingly good. Limited FREE computer use (one computer for ALL privilege) but they do have wi-fi.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen Questions...

Children are not allowed into Pelicanos and a Asiana (the 2 RPDC restaurants open to the public) It clearly states at both of them that the Royal is an adults only resort and that children under 16 are NOT allowed in these restaurants.