We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin Imperial Questions

British Columbia...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Valentin Imperial Questions

Good Afternoon,

Just trying to find out if it is worth bringing our snorkel gear to this resort. Is the beach snorkel friendly and is there stuff to see?

Another question is how close to Playa Del Carmen is this resort?

thanks

Maryland
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin Imperial Questions

There is an area roped off for swimming. It is not near any rocks where they fish seem to hang out. Taxi to Playa is 20-30 minutes if traffic is bad.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin Imperial Questions

We snorkled when we were there. The fish were transparent-we didn't think there were any fish until we had the goggles on. Once the goggles were on there were quite a few.

The waves were pretty wild when we were there, so we only had "swimmable" water that one day.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,439 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin Imperial Questions

I just got back from the VIM yesterday and the ocean was MUCH calmer than it was the same time last year. We did see some people snorkelling and there are rocks where, I suspect, you'd see more fish but it's a fair distance out and not a swim I'd try without fins and a vest. I also don't think there's enough out there for it to be worth that much effort.

However ..... Puerto Morelos is about a 10 minute cab ride away. There you will find plenty of people willing to take you out to the reef for about $25 per person, including gear (but who wants to use a rented snorkel - ewww!).

kelowna, BC canada
Level Contributor
510 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin Imperial Questions

Hi Llisa, How was your trip there this time? Have many things changed?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,439 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin Imperial Questions

Rasras - there are some changes from last year and not all of them are good but nothing was bad enough to change my VIM fan status.

For more details, see this thread but I warn you, it really is a VERY long post - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150805-i7-k397017…

Port Huron, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin Imperial Questions

The area safe or roped off for swimming has no reef areas that are good for snorkeling.. Plan on doing a day trip to snorkel...

They have a van that will take you to Playa no charge it runs on a certain schedule

Edited: 04 October 2010, 16:10
7. Re: Valentin Imperial Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2011, 07:35