We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decision to make......need some advice please!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Decision to make......need some advice please!

So my best friend and I booked the Gran Porto Real for 8 nights in May 2011. We booked a Gran Jr. Suite Beachfront walkout for the trip. I have already stayed there and in that room category so I know that I love it. I just checked at the price for The Royal in Cancun, Royal Jr. Suite Ocean Front is $200 less per person than what we are paying for the GPR. Thoughts about making a switch?

Kate :)

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decision to make......need some advice please!

Cancun is always less...at the GPR you walk out on the sand in less than 20 feet. In Cancun it's probably 100 yards. Plus you can walk anywhere you want in PDC for restaurants and clubs. You save the $200 bucks just in transportation.

An ocean front room in Cancun might be on the eighth floor. It's good for watching pelicans but that's about all. Stick with cozy bohemian PDC ...you know what you are going to get.

Maryland
Level Contributor
699 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decision to make......need some advice please!

Depends if you want to stay in PDC or Cancun. I personally would not want to stay in Cancun even for $200 less.

NEWPORT BEACH,CA
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Decision to make......need some advice please!

Hay Kate,how ya doing?

All I can say is TAXIS and HIGH RISES.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decision to make......need some advice please!

That's the decision we came to as well. We are staying in Playa. :)

Thanks everyone!

Hi Ron!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decision to make......need some advice please!

We stayed in a Beachfront room (127) one week after you and, during the night I contracted Tourista (I believe from the Ceviche at lunch), a note was slipped under the door inviting us to tranfer to an Oceanfront suite (upgraded) at the Cancun Royal at no charge, including transfers to Cancun and back to the airport.

We checked online for pricing and found it to be more pricey so opted for the transfer, even though we thoroughly enjoyed the Gran Porto .

The Royal was fabulous (although we upgraded to a corner suite). The restaurants were air conditioned, everyone greeted you and placed their hand over their heart as they addressed you. There were very few locals at the Royal and no kids, so much quieter.

The American chains are across the road (Margaritaville, Outback Bubba Shripm) but very expensive and the meals were good at the Royal as you know. So, not much to do at night off the resort within walking distance. However we did get to the Chef's Plate - Amazing 7 course dinner for 20 people.

Although we have been to Mexico a dozen or more times and the Mayan Riviera 4X, this was our first trip to Cancun and we really felt special. My wife and I are in our late 50's and we would stay at the Royal Cancun. Only complaint was no 5th Avenue!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decision to make......need some advice please!

Thanks for that! My BFF and I have come to the decision that we aren't sure we would like being away from 5th Avenue and Playa. With that said she and I are coming off a horrific vacation (5/30 - 6/6/2010) where we each took our mothers to Punta Cana and stayed at the Grand Palladium. I think this next vacation we will be slightly more cautious and stick with the safe bet.

7. Re: Decision to make......need some advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 07:16